MAY 2020 Challenge - Out of the freezer

Joined Dec 18, 2010
With teamfat teamfat 's encouragement, "Let's not let this concept fade into the sunset just yet, May of 2020 should be better, a rebirth, springing forth new life into our existence, and hopefully broadening the culinary horizons for all of us."... it seems appropriate to continue with a theme relating to life in these "unprecedented times"... stay-at-home, work-from-home, quarantine at home, shortages and/or hoarding of all sorts of goods and supplies... or whatever you want to call it.

Knowing that many of us are eating out of our freezers more than we generally may, the challenge this month is transforming something frozen into a sumptuous delight. Savory or sweet; doesn't matter to me. Only thing needed to qualify is that something frozen or previously frozen is included. I expect lots of interesting and yummy entries.

Heck... I'm even so open-minded that if it is something associated with a relatively recent Disney (tm) classic movie I'll consider it a valid contender. :)

So using a few of the inimitable words of my predecessor... Cook something from your freezer. And do your best with whatever is left on the shelves at the market or in your freezer to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

As usual, here are the traditional rules:
  • The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
  • You may post multiple entries.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
  • The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.
As a side-note, though... if samples of tasty treats are provided there is the possibility of "extra credit points"... a trick I learned from my kids "virtual education experience".

So make the most of the situation, and get cookin'

Last edited:
Joined Dec 18, 2010
... and just a bit of sharing; forgive my trespasses if this is TMI... my freezer as of right now. I’m sure there will be more added by my blushing bride soon!

49877628-34BD-43CF-B3D2-E6DD136367E6.jpeg 935BA6A6-C749-4269-9AC9-C045519184DF.jpeg

Joined May 28, 2015
... and just a bit of sharing; forgive my trespasses if this is TMI... my freezer as of right now. I’m sure there will be more added by my blushing bride soon!

View attachment 67639 View attachment 67640
That is your freezer? Blimey - compared to mine it looks virtually empty. I seriously need to declutter mine (in fact I have 2 freezers), so I'm very much in favour of this challenge.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
In my case, like yours, it's my blushing bride. She starts ordering groceries and next thing I know there are strange boxes in the freezer....

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Great idea, I just have to say this is a "really cool" theme. And here's mine.

20200501_200611.jpg

20200501_200601.jpg

And there's more out in the garage. Like I think a bag of frozen goat meat. May be time for an Ethiopian wat type stew. And don't worry, I won't add any of the batteries to it.

Too funny - look at the on screen ad that just popped up while I am typing this:

20200501_201613.jpg

I hope this goes well. Statistically speaking, the April challenge saw a 75% increase in entries over March. Hope the trend continues.

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Got a freezer on my campsite ;)
So, I'll try. Just looking for a volunteer that I can email or whatsapp a picture to, to be posted in this challenge.
I think I have a serious case of Android-cheftalk-photo- challengitis!

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Well it looks like the freezer in the ancient garage fridge needs some attention.

20200502_071455.jpg

But memory served me correctly, I do still have that bag of goat meat. Within the week I imagine you'll all be seeing it again.

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Nice here today so I defrosted 40oz. of venison, 14oz of pork loin trim and finished up an open package of bacon. I sliced, chilled and ground it for burgers on the grill. I ended up with 11 5oz. patties and we cooked six and boys and girls were they good!!! Served with cheese, pickle, lettuce on a toasted potato roll. I five left for another go 'round.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I had just sat to start eating when I realized the meal qualified for the challenge. See, my old secondary fridge had started its compressor death rattle. And being 18 years old I decided it would be allowed to pass on. So I ordered a replacement and unpacked the old one. I tossed a package of breakfast sausage links in earliest stages of freezer burn into my main fridge to thaw.

Biscuits and gravy with some canned veggies was a quick easy dinner tonight. Sausage was a bit dry but otherwise fine.

IMG_20200505_173819788.jpg

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Looked great the first time... and even better when color corrected.... great entry!

Joined Dec 18, 2010
We’re off to a good start. Keep it coming. I know there must be a lot of frozen food being used. Don’t be embarrassed... we’re all in a similar boat. No judgement here. Oh... except on the 31st. :)

Joined May 19, 2014
Ok. I get it. No Pic no proof. I did thaw out some house made pizza dough 2 days ago. Some hamburger and 2 fresh bell peppers. 1 red. 1 yellow. I always have P sauce...
Anyway, I made the closest version to a 1979 elementary school pizza you could ever imagine.
No proud. Just is.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Ok. I get it. No Pic no proof. I did thaw out some house made pizza dough 2 days ago. Some hamburger and 2 fresh bell peppers. 1 red. 1 yellow. I always have P sauce...
Anyway, I made the closest version to a 1979 elementary school pizza you could ever imagine.
No proud. Just is.
Sounds great. Draw a picture!

Joined Nov 5, 2007
First off, phatch phatch - is that really all the gravy you put on those biscuits??

Next, I have been doing some archaeological excavating in the garage freezer you saw in an earlier picture.

92578542_3971013499583302_1567279732913864704_n.jpg

Couldn't make out the date on this package, not sure if it's safe to use.

I should have an entry here in a few hours, though.

mjb.

Latest posts

Top Bottom