May 2019 Cooking Challenge: Salad

Joined Aug 21, 2004
I took my inspiration from a Malay korma. I poured a couple of tablespoons of hot water over white poppy seeds and let them steep for a hour or so. I then placed that mixture in a mortar with a toasted mixture of coriander, cumin, and fennel seeds, black peppercorns, star anise, cinnamon stick, cardamom, ginger, garlic, and shallot. Ground it to paste. Sautéed the paste a few minutes until the color darkened a bit. Deglazed with a splash of water and added a small amount of yogurt to moisten. Let it steep and cool. On the side I mixed yogurt, coconut milk, and lemon juice. After the spice paste adequately cooled, I added the yogurt,coconut milk, lemon juice mixture.

Joined Sep 8, 2015
Hugely busy month putting to together an out of state move and house hunting but we did eat occasionally and had a few salads I managed to photograph.

We made Chinese chicken salad a couple times. For the crunchy component I use pan toasted slivered almonds and diced water chestnuts. Great texture and far better than other options imo.

IMG_2396.JPG

This is a summer go to especially with grilled meat. Corn, black beans, onion, mild peppers, salsa, cilantro. Canned everything works great, but it's better fresh of course, especially fresh corn! I usually don't add the avocado and pickled carrot but a friend was hanging out and offered to help so I asked her to gussy it up a little. I guess I get half credit :)

IMG_2324.JPG

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Actually did this about two weeks ago, forgot to post it. A crab and asparagus pasta salad.

20190515_191016.jpg

20190515_212029.jpg

20190515_214756.jpg

20190515_221959.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised, as the gluten free pasta was actually quite tasty, it didn't have an odd texture like so many other gluten free items do. And Karen loved this salad.

But next time I think I may by a tub of precleaned crab meat.

20190515_220953.jpg

A lot of work for a scant reward. But the crab did pick up a slight smokiness from getting heated up over that very hot mesquite charcoal. And the salad went well with the grilled burgers.

20190515_230828.jpg

mjb.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
2AEBB977-99CB-467B-A863-6D7104B13788.jpeg My apologies! Time for away from me this month with an onslaught of concerts. Here’s a view as I walk on stage at Carnegie hall.

Although this was not a popular challenge I am quite impressed with the entries made! I learned quite a few tricks like adding oats to a salad and make korma dressing from cheflayne cheflayne ,how to make Burmese chili paste from butzy butzy and how to make yellow eggs from morning glory morning glory !

A couple of stand outs for me were the crab and asparagus pasta salad from teamfat teamfat . VERY cool that you grilled those crab legs. Also, I really liked that corn and black bean salad by hank hank and it’s probably the next dish I make when we do a cookout this week.

Our winner is morning glory morning glory ! It wasn’t just the sheer volume of entries (six!) but the attention to detail and the meticulous presentation with no less than 3 potato salads. The entry that won was hands down the sprouted matki salad which celebrated spring in a big way. Congrats and thanks for all who participated!

Last edited:
Joined May 28, 2015
View attachment 66535 My apologies! Time for away from me this month with an onslaught of concerts. Here’s a view as I walk on stage at Carnegie hall.

Although this was not a popular challenge I am quite impressed with the entries made! I learned quite a few tricks like adding oats to a salad and make korma dressing from cheflayne cheflayne ,how to make Burmese chili paste from butzy butzy and how to make yellow eggs from morning glory morning glory !

A couple of stand outs for me were the crab and asparagus pasta salad from teamfat teamfat . VERY cool that you grilled those crab legs. Also, I really liked that corn and black bean salad by hank hank and it’s probably the next dish I make when we do a cookout this week.

Our winner is morning glory morning glory ! It wasn’t just the sheer volume of entries (six!) but the attention to detail and the meticulous presentation with no less than 3 potato salads. The entry that won was hands down the sprouted matki salad which celebrated spring in a big way. Congrats and thanks for all who participated!
Thank you! Now I must think of a new challenge....

Top Bottom