May 2019 Cooking Challenge: Salad

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, May 2, 2019.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Oh very nice, so you lightly pickled the veggies first? I'd love to know what's in a burmese chili paste.

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yeah I cooked them first.

koukouvagia likes this.
  3. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The only time I've mixed them was in a seafood quiche, which also included scallops and crab. But yes, I think an octopu salad of some sort might work out well.

mjb.

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Teamfat
    King Buffet on state street has a very spicy octopus salad. Intersting dish but too hot for me in the end.

Not that I really recommend the buffet either. Just the octopus salad comment brought it to mind.

5. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Waldorf with Pink Raddichio, Candied Walnuts and Plum Juice Vinaigrette:

fullsizeoutput_4674.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_45db.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2019
    Vjan, salty dog and drirene like this.
  6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Nothing beautiful or inspired here.I needed to feed the family before they ran off to an early showing of avengers endgame. My oldest daughter just finished her semester and had time now.

I'd intended to make it yesterday so it could be built quickly today but it was still frozen when I got to it. Even still a bit icy as I was cutting it into thin planks for quick grilling. Butterfly out the boneless thighs to an even thickness and horizontally cut the breast in thirds. Season up with greekish-mediterranean seasonings. Drizzle with a little lemon olive oil and garlic olive oil. Grill.

Build a salad of mixed greens, feta, sunflower seeds, chopped capers. And dress with a red wine vinaigrette spiked with a little more lemon.

IMG_20190514_172243.jpg

The sunflower seeds were my favorite part actually.

salty dog, morning glory and drirene like this.
  7. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    image.jpg

I’m in a slump. The best I can do so far is takeout salad. Not an entry... obviously!

8. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've eaten at their State Street and West Valley locations. I could probalby be happy by filling up on some of the sushi and the hot and sour soup. Well, the soup needs to be doctored up a bit to make it hot and make it sour. I have had the octopus salad, maybe I'll eat thee for lunch soon and give it a taste, maybe get some inspiration.

My goal this challenge is to make something that looks half as good as @morning glory's Waldorf.

mjb.

9. drirene

drirene

Exp:
    At home wannabe pastry chef
    morning glory likes this.
  10. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Correct, just lightly pickled the cucumber. Worked well.
    Then the next day, I wanted to turn the left over into a pasta salad, only to find I had no pasta (just rice noodles).
    All I had was a tin of black beans and a tin of chickpeas, so added the chickpeas as black bean and tuna didn't sound like a good combo
    08 next day with chickpeas mixed in.jpg

As for the Burmese chili paste: I got the recipe from the book "Burma, rivers of flavor" by Noami Duguid, but it's on the net as well:
    https://www.cookstr.com/Sauces/Tart-Sweet-Chile-Garlic-Sauce-Nga-Yoke-Thee-Achin

koukouvagia and morning glory like this.
  11. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Potato Salad with Pickled Lemons, Turmeric Hard-boiled Eggs, Anchovies, Parsley & Chilli Flakes. Just a tablespoon of olive oil is enough for the dressing because the pickled lemons add acidity.

fullsizeoutput_47a9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_47a8.jpeg

drirene, Vjan and salty dog like this.
  12. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Here's a salad I made today with marinated cherry tomatoes, fire roasted green pepper, kalamata olives and marinated artichokes hearts. I served with the salmon/potato cake dish in the "dinner" thread.

[​IMG]

drirene, salty dog and morning glory like this.
  13. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @phatch sunflowers are by far my favorite salad seed, a little bit of crunch but tender too.

@morning glory I’ve never seen leaves that color before wow! Also can you tell me how you make turmeric eggs? My husband would most appreciate this.

@butzy actually I combine black beans and tuna all the time, I love it. But chickpeas work well too. Thanks for the recipe, I’ve been making more of my own condiments lately.

@mike9 very nice, this is like a caponata!

14. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
  15. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The one's I made were simply hard-boiled eggs steeped overnight in warm water with turmeric powder mixed into it. Very easy. They don't really taste much of turmeric though. If you steep them longer they will pick up more flavour and the yellow will start to penetrate the whites of the egg which looks attractive.

16. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I found a couple of ripe tomatoes yesterday so I made a simple Caprese salad to go with our spatchcock chicken and roasted garlic ciabatta with garlic/compound butter. I marinated the tomato slices in evoo and salt then fresh basil, buffalo mozzarella and a drop of balsamic reduction. Really nice against the well seasoned chicken and bread.

[​IMG]

fatcook, drirene and salty dog like this.
  17. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @mike9 You cant beat a simple salad those tomatoes look great.

morning glory likes this.