May 2019 Cooking Challenge: Salad

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, May 2, 2019.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It didn't take long for me to settle on this one. Now I know some of you only like big meaty challenges but meat is allowed in this one I assure you. I love salads and I know you'll find a way to make this one fun for yourself because composition and creativity is at the heart of this challenge. Hot salads, cold salads, roasted salads, green salads, bean salads, there is literally nothing you can't make into a salad. Meat salads? Dessert Salads? Bring it on.

The Rules (fun fact: did you know that it was me who drafted these rules originally?)

• The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
    • You may post multiple entries.
    • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
    • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
    • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
    • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
    • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.

The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

drirene and salty dog like this.
  2. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Excellent. I have many salad ideas.

3. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Good call @koukouvagia with warm weather coming it's good to eat a little lighter.

drirene likes this.
  4. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Ah...
    But some of us are getting into winter!!
    Doesn't matter though. It will still get 24- oC here in winter :)

Got some ideas....

5. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    -35c here last winter.... I still ate salads LOL

6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Want to try making a heavy salad? It is possible!! Pasta salad, potato salad etc.

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I love winter salads! So many yummy veggies to work with!!

8. vivia123

vivia123

Exp:
    salad mix fruits and vegetables !!!

9. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    BB7C2983-9A89-4720-B947-D3FC8EDF4BD3.jpeg I’m not entering obviously but this was a salad that I had in Greece I really enjoyed. Various peppers, roasted, dressed with oil and vinegar and herbs.

drirene and morning glory like this.
  10. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    That’s so pretty... you really could win your own contest with that non-entry!

drirene and koukouvagia like this.
  11. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Its giving my ideas...

12. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Mine is not nearly as pretty.....
    I am going to call this my "whatever is lying around and you feel like throwing into a salad" salad :)

Onion with olive oil, mustard and balsamic vinegar.
    I am not going to call it a vinaigrette as my ratio's are way out. I use more vinegar than olive oil. I like a tang :)
    01 onion mustard red wine vinegar olive oil.jpg

Cucumber and pickled cucumber (home made)
    02 cucumber and pickled cucumber.jpg
    Chorizo (grilled, left over from yesterday)
    03 chorizo.jpg
    And chickpeas out of a tin (lazy, yes I know)
    05 salad.jpg
    I also added hard boiled egg. They were getting old and needed finishing as well.
    I always struggle to get anything white half-way decent on a picture
    06 with eggs.jpg

I think there is a good chance I am going to make this again as it was easy to make and very tasty!

morning glory, drirene and salty dog like this.
  13. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I think you took on the spirit of the challenge. This is exactly the type of salad I make for myself to take to my evening gig, except I go the opposite way on the vinegraitte, mostly oil and just a splash of vinegar. The chickpeas are great, I always throw in a handful of whatever can of beans I have in the cupboard, they make a good addition to anything and are not lazy at all.

drirene likes this.
  14. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    This was made some time ago, so not en entry.

shrimp_salad.jpg

Will have to make one for this challenge, maybe tart it up a bit, perhaps with some grilled baby octopus and olives added?

mjb.

salty dog, drirene and fatcook like this.
  15. drirene

drirene

Exp:
    At home wannabe pastry chef
    Great idea Koukouvagia!

My very favorite eat-almost-every-day-salad.

Toss lettuces, cilantro, onion, strawberries, blueberries, blue cheese, mixed nuts or cashews, and chick peas or boiled egg, or whatever protein you have in the refrigerator. Lightly dress it with a fresh lemon/garlic/EVO vinaigrette, sea salt, cracked black pepper, and serve with a hunk of home made no-knead bread.

IMG_1925.JPG
    On lucky days, finish with a tiny piece of leftover dessert. This was a very lucky day: I had leftover Rose Levy Beranbaum's Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte. Yum! (Salad is always a great excuse to get to the cake.)
    This is what was left over from IMG_1930.JPG of this: IMG_1893.JPG
    Recipes: IMG_1928.JPG IMG_1932.JPG IMG_1933.JPG

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    fatcook and salty dog like this.
  16. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Whole Wheat Rotelli and Rolled Oats with Cauliflower, Kale, Tomato, Cumber, Mango, Jicama, Green Cabbage, Black Beans, Carrots, Broccoli Stalk Hearts, Red Onions, and Tempeh tossed with a Mango, Lime, Salsa Fresca Vinaigrette

drirene, morning glory and salty dog like this.
  17. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Just a simple tuna salad
    I marinated or soaked or whatever you want to call it in lime juice and a bit of salt.
    Drained after some time, to make sure it wouldn't be too acidic, but ended up throwing almost all juices back in the mix.
    I added tinned tuna, tomato, and yoghurt. Added some Burmese chili paste for some extra flavour and mixed all.
    Then crushed 2 hard boiled eggs in it and that's it.
    Ate it on a freshly baked flour tortilla
    01 cucumber marinating in lime juice and salt.jpg 02 added tinned tuna.jpg 03 added tomato.jpg 04 added some yoghurt.jpg
    06 eggs mixed in as well.jpg

drirene and salty dog like this.
  18. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Octopus instead of shrimp maybe? Shrimp and octopus don't go together in my mind. Shrimp is by far my favorite salad protein though!

19. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A bold combination, very nice!

20. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I love that you used tempeh! How did you incorporate the oats, were they cooked first?