May 2018 Cooking Challenge - Alcohol

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Here we are:
The ingredient for the month of May is ALCOHOL.
Plenty choices, from brandy butter to beer battered fish, from carbonade Flamande to Advocaat and so on and so on

The usual rules apply:
- The challenge begins on the 1st of every month and the last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
- You may post multiple entries.
- All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
- If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
- Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
- The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
- Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.

The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
It's mainly alcohol used in food, but I wouldn't mind seeing some cocktails/home brew's etc, just for the heck of it.

And remember: if it ain't good enough to drink, it ain't good enough to cook with (thank you, Keith Floyd ;) )

Joined Mar 21, 2008
So homebrew beer is allowed?

Halfway through the sparge of an 11 gallon batch of my take on a strong English bitter. Comes in around 6% ABV and like many homebrews it is hazy with yeast. Soon as it finishes carbonating I will get a picture of a full glass. Need to make another batch of beer this coming week so can take more pics of the process.

w8hb6by.jpg

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Nobody cooked anything with alcohol yet?
Not even a simple stir fry with some rice wine?
Steak with a red wine sauce?
There are so many options......

Just get cooking :emoji_wine_glass::emoji_wine_glass::emoji_wine_glass:

Joined Mar 21, 2008
Didn't even think of a picture. It was one of those "I don't feel like cooking" nights so it was turned out on a paper plate and eaten LOL

Joined Mar 21, 2008
And the ale, yes it is hazy, I don't filter my beer like the big breweries do! Named Echo Ale after the town I live in.

Recipe:

16 pounds Golden Promise malt barley
3.5 pounds Victory malt
.75 pounds UK Extra Dark Crystal(160l... this is the color it adds)

Mash in with 7.5 gallons of water at 154 for 60 minutes, vorlauf (sets the grain filter bed in the mash kettle) until no more grain bits come through then sparge with 8 gallons of water heated to 170 degrees.

Bring the wort(liquid from the mash kettle) to a boil stirring to prevent a foam over(messy, very very messy!) then add 2 ounces of Perle hops and boil 55 minutes(this is the bittering hop). Then add 2 ounces Hallertau Hersbrucker hops and boil 5 minutes(this is the aroma hop).

Cool the wort to pitching temp of 64 degrees(I go to 70 ish and cheat a bit on temps), drain to the fermenters, then add the Nottingham Ale yeast. I make a starter but you can pitch direct. Ferment 7-10 days then bottle or keg(I keg). Makes 11 gallons(2 fermenters worth) of ale.

This is a very malt forward semi sweet ale with subtle coffee notes from the crystal and some biscuit from the Victory, I have yet to have a commercial lager drinker turn up their nose and say they hate it so it appeals to a wide audience. I am brewing again this weekend so will post more pics of the entire process from mash in, to boil to getting transferred to fermenters.

This glass was brewed beginning of May!

5XodsDs.jpg

So homebrew beer is allowed?

Halfway through the sparge of an 11 gallon batch of my take on a strong English bitter. Comes in around 6% ABV and like many homebrews it is hazy with yeast. Soon as it finishes carbonating I will get a picture of a full glass. Need to make another batch of beer this coming week so can take more pics of the process.

w8hb6by.jpg

Joined Apr 25, 2011
Steak Au Poivre

This one got kinda fun and I will explain. I did steak au poivre with strip steak. I used Hennessy for my deglaze.
50C10FBF-ADA6-42A6-95C3-363345ED5E3C.jpeg

Kosher salt and black pepper barely cracked set out for an hour.

Cooked on sideburner of grill with butter/olive oil combo. Seared both sides.

641985E9-B470-4F32-9001-AA2A62D018D3.jpeg

So far so good. After searing, set aside to rest. I wanted to get best flame burst for pan sauce so I could get a picture.

Had all safety measures in place (lid, fire extinguisher, etc). Had all burners on grill off, but made pan extra hot to get a good pic of flames. But my grill lighter didn’t ignite until 4th attempt. (Although previously tested multiple times successfully)
0CE223D0-C079-4334-A2BD-C3A2B2D1B4D2.jpeg

Boy did I get one. Lol

CFD3726D-8BF0-4D12-B915-FF9560E92CD3.jpeg

But of course that is just a brief flame kiss. Lol. Didn’t ruin supper.

C48828D8-5063-4C89-80FB-A153592F005B.jpeg

D079E2A2-7EE2-43C9-9795-913D61E661B3.jpeg

It was divine!

Joined Mar 21, 2008
Fermenters washed and sanitized, water filtered and hauled out to the garage. Grain weighed and hauled to the garage. That is just the start of a brew session. I split it to 3 days now. Day 1 I filter 18 gallons of water. Day 2 wash things and sanitize and weigh up grains, hops and water minerals(used to match a particular brewing region and style, water all over the world is different and it is a MAJOR player in beer final flavor). Still need to weigh hops and minerals, charge the cordless drill to mill the barley, and pack up the tool bucket to move to the garage...

Typical brew session not including water filtering(that takes 9 hours but it is all waiting, RO water filters are not speedy) takes 8 hours start to finish with cleaning before and after. Oh and I still need to make a yeast starter...

Joined Jul 13, 2012
It was rainy and cold today so I made this here squid and linguica stew. It has white wine that is boiled for 30 seconds to cook off the alcohol. Simple recipe really with only a few ingredients. I cut and scored the tubes and stewed for an hour then flash fried the tentacles for a minute for a contrasting texture.

IMG_20180512_182201_zpselcpnkmf.jpg

I served it with some gluten free baguette hot with compound butter.

Top Bottom