May 2014 Challenge - BBQ and Grilling

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by vic cardenas, May 1, 2014.

1. vic cardenas

vic cardenas

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Thank you to @French Fries  for hosting last month's challenge. I had a lot of fun pushing myself to cook for you all.

This month we will focus on BBQ. Now, I know Barbecue is kind of a catch-all term and does not mean the same thing to everybody around the world and even in America we have certain groups calling BBQ one thing and the other a whole different definition.

That's why this is a BBQ and Grilling competition.

The time of the year is here now, for us on the northern hemisphere, to start firing up our grills and smokers and do some outdoor cooking!

What better way to start the season than with a great BBQ challenge?

I think BBQ and Grilling will make a great challenge for this forum because BBQ is a world of it's own in the cooking world.

In this challenge we do not have to focus on just the food or the end result, we can focus on technique and equipment used. There is so much technique in Barbecue and Grilling it would be great to showcase technique. A humble, simple pulled pork sandwich can have just as much technique involved as the french use in their cooking.  

Equipment used being showcased will also help forum goers because there is so much custom stuff being made in the BBQ world it is a learning experience in itself to see. 

BBQ is something I've taken a unique interest with lately. It will be fun for me to see all the cool ideas this month. 

So, are you going camping this weekend and gonna catch some trout and grill it up? You having a party where you're going to cook your friends some steaks and burgers? You planning on smoking a brisket or a pork shoulder for 8 hours? Got a cool smoker rig you want to show us? Do you use a "Big Green Egg" to cook your pizzas? Got some "Hobo Dinners" you're going to throw in a fire while camping or dutch oven action? Are you so hardcore that you own a Tandoor or built a brick Argentine grill in your backyard? BBQ is so varied in technique and equipment it doesn't matter. Give us what you got!

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    How timely! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif  Great choice, I look forward to it. 

3. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    In the name of God! We used to make parrillada competitions almost on a daily basis with my brother but today i've not a parrilla. Anyway i will manage to present something. Great choice Vic.

4. genemachine

genemachine

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Oh good lord. That's gonna be fun. Have the BBQ running all the time anyway :)

5. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I've posted this before. Here's my ...

Thai bbq chicken:

- Coconut milk

- Shallots/Scallions

- Ginger

- Garlic

- Crushed coriander seeds

- Turmeric

- Palm sugar

- Cilantro (leaves+stalks+roots)/Lemongrass/Mint/Parsley/Thai basil...

- Fish sauce/Soy sauce/Shrimp paste

- Toasted sesame oil

That is my go to Thai marinade for BBQ chicken but I'm sure it'd work equally well for pork or fish...

nicko likes this.
  6. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I love to grill!

I grill all year round here in the middle of the US SW desert, even when it snows, our neighbors think that I'm nuts /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif

Mini Teriyaki boneless-skinless chicken thighs, cut into strips and marinaded overnight, skewered on bamboo and grilled carefully as to try not to burn the skewers, I plated atop some lettuce that was about to 'go south' on a dollar store clear plastic platter

(I didn't have to worry about getting my dish back after the party /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif)

I made this 2 summers ago for a cocktail party that we were invited to, they were gone soon after I added them to the buffet, BIG hit!

I make this often for my husband and mother

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Just grillin' on my brand new grill. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

8. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Grilled cabbage!! With bacon (obviously). 

9. vic cardenas

vic cardenas

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Is the core of that all hollowed out and filled with...... bacon?  Gasp* That looks good!

10. vic cardenas

vic cardenas

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    That looks good! And trust me, all our neighbors think we are ALL crazy!

11. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

yup!  but then ask me if I care? 

they're the ones strolling by our house REAL slow like on their evening walks,

with their nostrils flared, taking in the FABULOUS smells coming from our house,

stopping casually to ask, "what are you making?"  or "what time is dinner?" 

I always ask if it's okay to give their little doggies a taste of what I just took off the grill, 

and then of course to them as well... DH thinks I should start charging...

12. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I smoked some wings eh?  A little bit of oil, and my own poultry rub.  About 325 until they're done, then I cranked the heat and seared them.  You need at least 325 to render the fat.

I'm cooking on a Broil king keg, so I almost always reverse sear.  It's much easier to raise the temp than to drop it on these insulated kamados.

13. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Pretty much... bacon quickly panfried with sweated onions/garlic/bbq sauce..... very good but very slow to cook. Next time I do it I'll try blanching the cabbage first. 

14. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    This is a BBQ chicken I did on monday.  I'm cooking more chicken with beef and pork prices so high.  It was my first experiment with dry brining.  I spatchcocked it, put on some oil and rub.  Smoked at about 350 with cherry and apple wood.

This is a poultry rub I made up for my turkey last thanksgiving.  I have it in a shaker and I've been using it for chicken since. There's no salt, because I usually brine.  I glaze with sauce at the end and that's enough sugar for me.

1 T paprika

1 T black pepper

1 T garlic powder

1 T marjoram

1 T sage

1 tsp lemon peel

½ tsp cumin

½ tsp guajillo pepper flake

15. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Next time totally wrap the cabbage with just the core area exposed, it steams it to cook it while just enough smoke and heats gets to the bacon filling to make it tasty. Cabbage doesn't need much smoke to be tasty but I make them on my Traeger smoker. And for a fancy dinner I do this with brussles sprouts, they don't need wrapping, just stand them in a pan packed tight so they don't tip and lose all the good filling. Fine chop the bacon, core and stuff just like the cabbage. No need to precook the bacon, it will render down in the sprouts and the fat cooks them.

16. vic cardenas

vic cardenas

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    +1 on the chicken pricing compared to any other meat now. 

That chicken looks perfectly cooked! Excellent job and only 4 posts to boot! This guy can cook! That wing sauce looks amazing too. I recently had the best smoked chix wings in my life at a bar here called The Devils Daughter. They looked very similar to that. I believe they smoke theirs with mesquite. 

17. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thanks Vic!  The wing sauce wasn't mine.  It was from Zeb's general store up in NH.  I think it was apple cider and habero. I make something similar around apple picking season using apple butter.  We're all about apples and applewood up here in yankee bbq land.

I guess I never said anything about my cooker. This is my keg I cook on year round.  It's a kamado, but double layers of steel with insulation in between instead of ceramic.  No cracking etc that you get with ceramics, but then there are cast iron parts you need to keep seasoned.  I like this picture because it has the thin blue smoke from a good fire.  Whatever the equipment, temperature and smoke control is more important than any secret sauces, rubs, marinades, injections, wood types, whatever.  With this thing being insulated, it holds temperatures very well.  I can go at least 6 hours on one load of hardwood lump and very minimal fire tending.

I got a whole hog getting catered by a pro this weekend (he's doing whole hog at Memphis in May, so I guess he's pretty good).  I'll be sure to post pics!

vic cardenas likes this.
  18. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Wow great. Thanks for sharing your tips Mary, I'll give wrapping a try next time. 

19. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Love it!  Was planning on doing some grilling tonight, will have to take some pictures.

mjb.

20. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Not the best effort.  Some boneless country style pork ribs, lightly dusted with HoosierQ rib rub for my bride's tender palate:

For me, hot links:

And no, I didn't eat it ALL tonight.

On the grill:

No further pics, the main goal was to get it on the table in time for Karen to make it to her yoga class.  Tasty, though, served with steamed asparagus drizzled with melted butter and lemon juice.

Very soon I hope to present a batch of this for the challenge: