Maui Bound

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by seattledeb, May 23, 2003.

1. seattledeb

seattledeb

My husband and I are heading to Maui next week. My first visit to Hawaii. We'll be at the Four Seasons Resort four 8 days, any restaurant recommendations in Maui? Thanks.

2. soussweets

soussweets

you will have a fantastic time. i was in maui about four years ago and all i can tell you is be careful,, you will not want to come home. although i never took the time to go there maui fish house is suposed to be the best restaurant on maui, quite pricey but well worth it from what i hear. it is near hanna, the famous town with the attrocious drive up the mountain. it takes two hours to travel up about ten miles ,,, beautiful view, but there are alot more things to do on that wonderful island. there are fantastic restarants everywhere, i especialy loved the town of piea,, quiet little surf town about thirty minutes from your hotel,,, which is supurb by the way. i spent a few days there and got a taste of good no frills local cuisine. and one more suggestion,,, you must snorkle at molokini reef, every dive shop has a package to go out there and there are plenty of deals in the coupon books you will recieve in your hotel,car rental place and everywhere else. you can see straight down about eighty feet , nothing but beautiful fish, coral, dolphins and giant sea turtles. im gonna stop now cuz this is making me island sick,,, have a great time and let me know how everything was.

3. seattledeb

seattledeb

Thanks for your post. Is the Maui Fish House possibly Mama's Fish House? We're meeting friends at Mama's (I don't know anything about it) on Monday.

We'll be on our own from Sat-Tue then Tue-Sat 250 of my hubby's co workers (& their significant others) arrive and then all of our meals are done with a huge group. I'm sure the Four Seasons food is good but I'm thinking a lot of buffets. They are taking us in groups to different restaurants and a luau as well.

So we really want to do a lot of eating (I'm craving pancakes with syrup and macadamia nuts) on our own the first few days. The company has all kinds of excursions planned for us (bike down Haleakala, hike to the waterfalls, snorkeling, golf, spa days, etc.) So we planned to do the Road to Hana and hiking when we're on our own.

Deb

4. soussweets

soussweets

your right,, it is mamas fish house. as far as the food i was talking of the little restaurants in piea,, who wants to eat in a hotel in such a culinary haven. one of my favorite items at alot of the little brunch places was fish and eggs. my favorite meal from the whole trip was mahi mahi with over easy eggs and fresh crusty rye bread. i am a simple man. enjoy the trip.

5. spoons

spoons

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Mama's Fish House
    Haliimaile General Store, it's an upscale restaurant
    Paia, try Cakewalk Paia Bakery
    I'o restaurant
    David Paul's, Lahaina
    Four Seasons, way to go! Know the exec sous chef there.
    Do go to Hana, it's beautiful!

6. ronn

ronn

You could also try a snack at the "Four Palms" it is nice I had my wedding reception there.

Or you could just get some Maui sweet onions and carmilize them, pick up a nice peice of Auhi or Mauhi Mauhi.......or one of the giant avacadoes they have there...........

I got married on a beach just down from the Four Palms with no shoes or socks on so I know Maui.......Daughters name is "Makena" like the Maui Beach.....I know I'm sad...LOL

7. ronn

ronn

http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/

You have to go at least once....we allways go just before the plane ride home...... (great little loafs of local bread to nibble on the plane):lips:

8. seattledeb

seattledeb

We loved Maui! We started each morning with a lot of fitness (so we could spend each day enjoying the food). Nice running trail along the ocean from Four Seasons about 5 miles RT. All of their cardio machines were in a lush garden facing the ocean and outside, about 15 cybex machines for weight work. So we started each day in fitness mode. I didn't realize how much they would be feeding us at the Four Seasons for my husband's company deal. They reserved the grassy area above the ocean for luaus, parties, lunches...was great. Each morning a buffet of fruits and normal breakfast stuffs.

Had my pancake fantasy fulfilled at Four Seasons...macadamia nut pancakes topped with butter, more macadamia nuts and coconut syrup. Not sure where your friend works at the Four Seasons--but the man making my pancakes worked several years in the Hamptons before moving to Maui--working at Four Seasons.

We did make it to Lahaina, to Hana, took the 38 mile ride down Haleakala, did some hiking (had a car and drove as much as could in a few days to some nice hiking points).

Checked out Mama's Fish House after our drive to Hana but we were too full. We had stopped at a few of the side of the road shacks for homemade coconut candy, lots of fresh fruit and such. Definitely will try that restaurant next visit.

Walked around Paia, saw the bakery you referred too--but again we weren't hungry. Next time! We were told that Willie Nelson is trying to put in a bar or restaurant in Paia, and when we left for home he was in our line at the airport in Maui. Very nice guy.

Deb

9. seattledeb

seattledeb

Ronn---Maui--what a beautiful place to get married. They had a few weddings at the Four Seasons, happening just at Sunset. How romantic, how beautiful. It does get windy there in the afternoon though!

You mentioned Maui sweet onions and Mahi Mahi (Mauhi? same thing). I had that every chance I could get. Loved that fish. I ate so many things with macadamia nuts I may have left the island resembling one.

Never saw the giant avocados.

Deb

10. ronn

ronn

Ahhhh....your killing me!!!!!

I have a two year old Little girl named after ont of the beaches "Makena".....

But alas that is as close as Im going to get to paridise for awhile I think...LOL:( :(