Chef Forum banner

MasterClass

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  loomchick 
#1 ·
I recently discovered MasterClass.com. They have online classes by some of the world's top chefs, eg Thomas Keller, Wolfgang Puck, as well as a variety of courses for creative types (writing, acting, music, etc). They seem to be successful at attracting the "best in the world" in various professions to run the courses.

You can buy courses individually or get an annual open access to all courses. I've done some of their culinary ones and found them interesting. They're not just cooking lessons but also the chefs talking about their journeys and culinary philosophies with a lot of hints and tips thrown in. It's an interesting way to spend an afternoon or two and makes a change from reading cookbooks or biographies.

#2 ·
"Not just cooking lessons"

No doubt some of you are familiar with Samin Nosrat's book "Salt, Fat, Acid Heat" and the 4 part documentary of it. I think Netflix has it. Her approach is similar, as in not a recipe collection but a study of techniques and ingredients. She doesn't explain how to cook any particular dish, she provides the foundation for cooking ALL dishes. Interesting stuff.

mjb.

#5 ·
"No doubt some of you are familiar with Samin Nosrat's book "Salt, Fat, Acid Heat" . . . "

I LOVE this book. I first 'read' it as an audiobook . . . which may sound weird . . . but, this book is a 'cooking' book and not a 'cook' book. After listening to it, I purchased the ebook to have on m iPad . . . and then I gave the hardcover version to my husband for Christmas. Buying a book three times . . . and re-reading it . . . is a rare thing for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.