Masterbuilt electric smoker

Joined Mar 18, 2013
Anybody uses Masterbuilt (or any other similar) electric smoker? Tips and Tricks?
Last weekend I smoked my salmon and chicken and it ended very well. Only "issue", if I may call it an issue, was the wooden chips - first I kept the temperature around 225 F, low and slow, but there wasn't smoke at all. I found on one website that most wooden chips need at least 250 F, very often 275 F.
Also, found that I shouldn't make the chips wet, they should be dry?
Would it than be better first to smoke it on 250-275 F for some amount of time and than lower it to 225 F, or first 225 F for an hour or so and than smoke it on 275, or it doesn't matter?

Thanks for any help.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I like the taste of a dry wood smoke over a wet wood chip smolder. Get an oven thermometer and use that to gauge the accuracy of the settings. Plenty of barbecue happens at 225 and your smoker should be able to generate smoke at that temp. If you're having trouble generating smoke in your system, then you should try a "Pellet smoker tube". Search that on Amazon. I like the A-Maze-N round ones best. These are designed for use with pellets, but I expect the finer chips would work OK too. And if not, they're still worth picking up and using with pellets.

With these you can also cold smoke cheese that would melt otherwise. And other good things.

You'll need a way to light these tubes. That's either a torch or a paint heat gun.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Anybody uses Masterbuilt (or any other similar) electric smoker? Tips and Tricks?
Last weekend I smoked my salmon and chicken and it ended very well. Only "issue", if I may call it an issue, was the wooden chips - first I kept the temperature around 225 F, low and slow, but there wasn't smoke at all. I found on one website that most wooden chips need at least 250 F, very often 275 F.
Also, found that I shouldn't make the chips wet, they should be dry?
Would it than be better first to smoke it on 250-275 F for some amount of time and than lower it to 225 F, or first 225 F for an hour or so and than smoke it on 275, or it doesn't matter?

Thanks for any help.
I've always smoked between 225 and 250 F. Like a lot of things there will be different camps on the thought of smoking wood chips. I have done both, and honestly now I just use chunk hardwood without any soaking. The soaking with the chips a lot of times is because they are so small and you don't want to burn them up too fast or too hot. You want that desired "blue" smoke, not the white. So in some respects soaking chips can help maintain heat and moisture. But I don't think there is any hard set rule, do what works for you and produces the level of smoke flavor you want.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Leave smoker at 225 if that worked well for you. Put wood chips in pan on stove top or in oven at higher temp to get them smoking and then transfer pan to inside of smoker.

Joined Mar 18, 2008
That's an idea too. Good to know about this option. Thanks.
I have seen them use pellets in it, for a longer smoke, and pretty good price on amazon. I haven't used mine yet but worth it I'd say check youtube on it gives you some tips. Especially if want to prep ahead then finish it it the oven and finish the rest of your dishes.
Where are you located?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom