Massive salty crumpets and ideas.

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by decrotie2004, Oct 2, 2014.

1. decrotie2004

decrotie2004

Exp:
    At home cook
    So about a week ago I tried my hand at making crumpets. I never thought it was going to be so demanding and take so long. I thought it was going to be akin to making pancakes.

So I followed this recipe:

http://www.europeancuisines.com/England-English-The-Best-Crumpet-Crumpets-Recipe

and it turned out quite salty. but I think I used too much salt as the recipe calls for coarse salt and I used table style iodized salt.

I also did not have a crumpet ring or even a suitable egg ring so I used my smallest cast iron pan and they came out pretty large.

I ended up freezing some immediately for later use, and when I thawed them, I added butter and some ranch popcorn seasoning powder.

The texture and flavor with the butter and ranch gave me an idea. Make even bigger crumpets in my "next-size-up pan" and use it as pizza base!

anyone else got ideas on uses for large salty-ish crumpets.

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Good for you for making crumpets.  One of my favorite bread-like oods.

How did you measure - with a tablespoon or with a scale?  If yo used a scale it should have worked out OK.  If you used a measuring spoon the amount of table salt should have been closer to 1 or 1-1/2 tsp.

I'd throw them out and try again.  But if you insist on eating, hide the saltiness by smothering them with sloppy joe or BBQ shredded pork.  :)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    decrotie2004 likes this.
  3. decrotie2004

decrotie2004

Exp:
    At home cook
    what I did, was embrace the salt, and I honestly have plans to make them again and turn them into mini pizza bases. I think it would be reminiscent of a deep dish without the doughy texture.

and I didn't use a scale... which explains the saltiness.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  4. rat

rat

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Coarse salt has less weight per volume than table salt. try cutting the measured amount of salt in half.