Mashed Potatoes

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by mrdecoy1, Oct 23, 2012.

1. mrdecoy1

mrdecoy1

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Thanksgiving I'm bringing the mashed. Been considering Heston Blumenthal's lengthy method which includes simmering low starch potatoes to trap in the starch and simmer the skins in milk for a kind of potato "stock." which is strained in. It's a pretty involved recipe which I don't mind, any others I should consider? I've never made them. Thanks. 

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I've tried fancy ways of making mash and it all turns out just ok.  Recently I boiled a few russets, threw in a little butter and cream and a dollop of mustard and smashed them quickly.  It was the best mash I'd ever made.

For Thanksgiving though I recommend mashed sweet potatoes.  I make them every year and there are never left overs. Boil yams, then mix in butter, cinnamon, a dash of allspice and plenty of cayenne pepper.  It's not Thanksgiving without my mashed sweets!

3. chef-josh

chef-josh

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I normally put a bay leaf, fennel seads, garlic clove,
    sprig or two of thyme and let it infuse when i warm up
    the butter, milk and cream, obviously strain this before
    adding to your mashed potato.

4. jaycobb1045

jaycobb1045

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Similar to Koukouvagia's recipe for mashed sweet potatoes, I really like mixing in some Thai red curry paste and sub in some coconut milk for 1/2 to 1/3 of the cream. 

5. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Many ways  but you make whatever way its best to you and your guest. Thats all that matters

6. williams

williams

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Keep it simple! 

Milk, butter, salt, pepper. Possibly add raw diced red onion.

7. fitnesswayne

fitnesswayne

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The most tasty and healthy potatoes you could make is some baked sweet potatoes which are mashed with clarified butter and salt.

8. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The Joel Robuchon method is pretty much considered the pinacle of mashed taters. You shouldn't have any trouble finding the recipe with a little Googlefu.

Dave

9. marrieann

marrieann

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Milk, butter and black pepper.

10. missyd

missyd

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    Milk, butter, black pepper, garlic & seasoning salt is how I've always done mine

~MIssyD

11. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I usually boil some garlic cloves with the taters.  Use milk, butter, salt, pepper and cream cheese to get a good consistency.  I keep meaning to add a dash of prepared horseradish, always seem to remember after the fact.

mjb.

12. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    The master making mashed potato purée. BTW he tells you not to worry about the butter as there is way more fat in french fries.

Another way to make it, almost the same way. Technique is good too.

13. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Awesome video!!  I think I got the gist of it, correct me if I'm wrong:

- boil 1kg of potatoes with salt for 30min

- remove skins while still hot

- put through the food mill

- add 250g butter in cubes

- add milk

- whisk vigorously

What I didn't catch was:

- how much milk, and does it have to be warm?

- what kind of potatoes were those?

- does the butter have to be in cubes?

- how long to whisk and doesn't whisking make it gummy?

I've retained more french than I thought possible.

14. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    KK: Ratte  is a variety of potato from France.

Your French is very good and you picked up most of the points.

Cover the 1 Kg of potatoes in cold water skins on (never warm or hot water)

Add 10 grams of course salt

Cook for 30 minutes with skins on

When cooked, peel the potatoes while still hot and then pass them through a food mill (nothing but a food mill)

Place the pot over a low heat and using a wooden spoon stir the potatoes for a couple of minute. WHY ?

The liquid will start to evaporate. This is an important step in achieving a smooth texture.

At this point you will add the butter 200-250 grams. He uses small cubes  of butter as it incorporates better into the mixture.

When butter is added , proceed to add salt for seasoning.

Slowely add milk till you get a soup like mixture (The video shows a pot of milk being heated)

Start whisking the mixture as quick as you can until you get a soft creamy like mixture. (thats when you stop whisking)

Avoid food processors and immersion blender as these machines can turn your mixture into glue.

I liked both video's. Yukon gold is pretty much the favorite for this type of mashed potato in North America. Not everyone likes purée, it depends what dish your serving and what you might just be in the mood for.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  15. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Probably a very minor distinction for most of us here @ CT but I never boil potatoes. Bring the water to a boil and then keep just under a boil. A rapid simmer at most. If you boil the potatoes the skins may rupture. If that happens your spuddy buddies will get saturated with water. Use potatoes that are of similar size no matter what variety you pick. 

Chef Robuchon suggests;

Ratte or BF15 ( A hybrid of Belle de Fontenay) potatoes.  A small fingerling or a "waxy" potato. There are those who firmly believe the recipe included the fingerling to mislead the competition. However the fingerling doesn't come apart when cooking but it can't have the schneikies beaten out of it or it will turn gummy. Not something a master worries about on either account. Who knew. A conspiracy theory about mashed potatoes!

The milk is boiled and used hot.

Butter is easier to work with in chilled cubes. Surely you could cut or curl any shape you like but the butter needs to be chilled. If you used a whole stick at a time you might end over over whipping the potatoes or the butter could melt before you get it all incorporated. This would alter the texture.

How much milk and butter?

Good question and there is no one absolute answer. Robuchon does address this in his book;

"The quantity of butter and milk needed for a successfully silky and satiny puree will vary according to the potatoes and the season. Early potatoes will be firmer, demanding more butter and milk for a perfectly soft, almost fluffy puree."

Dave

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  16. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    To dry them out.  If they are drier they take in more butter and cream/milk.

17. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    @ Dave: when it comes down to the final product, the proper ingredients & good technique.

For myself, I like to take a pound of frozen butter and a grater and just grate the ribbons into the mix , grate and mix. By the time I finish , I usually use one cup of butter or a touch less.

@ Brian: Right.

18. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The "universal" recipe. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Dave

19. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Or you can steam potatoes too.  For some reason they retain so much more flavor by steaming.

20. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I agree steaming is the best. Whatever you do don't use the food processor. Have you ever done it? What a mess.

I mash by hand (no ricer) and then add cream, seasonings and usually some parmesan.