Mashed Potatoes -- One Very Good Way

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Has anyone here tried smoking potatoes?  I've heard of it, couldn't be fussed doing it, but was wondering how and what amount of smoke would actually penetrate the potato.  I guess using new potatoes, little tiny ones, would be the best choice.

Curious.

Joined Jun 5, 2009
Hmmm, smoked mashed?

I suppose I would cook the potatos first and then put them into my stovetop smoker for say.... 10 min.  For a first attempt I would probably go with the ol'standby of hickory.  Perhaps garnish with chives and some bacon bits.

Rich

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I first encountered smoked potatoes at a demo by Seiji Yamamoto of RyGin in Tokyo. He used a poly-science "smoking gun" to smoke his spuds a la minute. He was preparing his signature Chateau RyuGin dish in which fried potatoes are smoked with walnut chips. The smoke flavor was mild, but edgy at the same time. I ended up buying one of these smoking guns (only $50 US) at the time. Great for small groups.Funny little warning.the smoking gun resembles the type of paraphernalia not usually used in a kitchen. These days anyway./img/vbsmilies/smilies/smoking.gif

Joined Jan 23, 2010
i have seen smoked mash potato made at the hotel restaurant smoked over dry rice, spices and herbs

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Smoked potatoes don't sound appealing to me.  I remember when one of the Top Chef contestants smoked potatoes during Restaurant Wars and got creamed for it.

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Smoked potatoes don't sound appealing to me.  I remember when one of the Top Chef contestants smoked potatoes during Restaurant Wars and got creamed for it.
That's odd- I say that only because on MasterChef UK I saw a cook doing them and getting high praise for it.  He ended up being the winner of the whole competition.

Joined Aug 18, 2007
Like others mentioned here, I love the flavour of potatoes cooked in their skins. It really does make a difference. Peeling them is no problem if u hold them in a paper towel, and the skin just falls away.

Hi DC havnt been on site for a while,n dont have access to my friends anymore. Bin really busy and just popping in now n again to do some temporary moderating on the welcome forum while Ishbel's on holiday. Got tonight to myself tho, so im catching up  

Joined Nov 5, 2007
The only time I've smoked potatoes was on those occasions when I used the potato as a device for keeping a remote temperature probe in a specific location during a cook.  Of course I tasted the probe holder afterwards, and it wasn't very good.  But that was after it had been in the smoker many hours.  A light touch of smoke might be interesting.

mjb.

Joined Aug 13, 2006
The only time I ever smoked potatoes was when i forgot them, the water boiled away and the burnt potatoes stuck to the bottom of the pot smoked all the others.  I don't recommend it. 

Joined Feb 26, 2007
The only time I ever smoked potatoes was when i forgot them, the water boiled away and the burnt potatoes stuck to the bottom of the pot smoked all the others.  I don't recommend it. 
Hmmm I think that is burnt, not smoked /img/vbsmilies/smilies/blushing.gif

The cook on the show did them for a short while only - I think they were jersey royals and he tea smoked (tea leaves, rice, sugar in foil package with holes poked into the top to let the smoke escape, heat the parcel in a covered metal steamer- could do it in a covered wok) smoke them for a short time only.  I think it was 15 to 20 mins.  Gotta get them off at just the right moment to serve.  There seems to be a short window of  time when they will taste well, and then if left too long, they will be...well, ready for the bin.

For me,  I'd just add some smoked paprika.

P.S.  Bughut - was wondering where you'd got to - great to see you back

Joined Dec 20, 2008
I guess I missed this thread when it was active...

Excellent info. 

I thought I would share what I use to mix mashed potatoes.  A wooden handle dough whip, I got it for pizza dough, but I use it all the time for mashed potatoes.  Its great, and very fast, we prefer a slightly rustic texture, but you can whip potatoes to a pretty smooth texture too.  The shape allows you to work right in the pot you cooked the potatoes (water removed /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif ), it will get down in the seam/corner.  I haven't tried it on really large batches but for 2-8 people it works fine.

Give it a try, $ 7 or 8 bucks and if you shop as low as $5.

Joined May 11, 2010
Excellent guide.  I usually make my mashed potatoes with heavy cream and garlic.  They are really good with heavy cream if you aren't worried about too much fat in the mashed potatoes.  Chives is a good idea though.

Top Bottom