Masamoto HC or K sabatier?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by sirknifealot, Feb 15, 2018.

1. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    But you may consider the Masahiro Virgin Carbon as well. Not with the F&F Misono provides, but the harder steel. Profile more Japanese with a low tip, no Misono spear point, elegant but fragile in an hectic environment.
    I have and use both the Misono and the Masahiro, and love both a lot -- for different reasons. But to me, the Masahiro is the best performer.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    aliphares likes this.
  2. aliphares

aliphares

Exp:
    Home cook
    The masahiro was also on my radar but i prefer the higher tip on the misono. The only 210 I have is a henckles I keep as a beater, I'm already planning on getting a 240. And yea I know, the misono is as famous for it's lousy initial edge as it is for it's overall quality, I was definitely not planning on keeping it :p
    Also thank you for the store suggestions, should come in handy!
    Any other gyuto suggestions?

3. aliphares

aliphares

Exp:
    Home cook
    Do you mean I should put a second bevel on the right only and keep the left straight? I usually just thin behind the edge and keep the edge 50/50 but all my knives are soft stainless

4. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    No way you should put a symmetric edge on it. After a few sharpenings you should experience poor performance, steering and/or wedging.
    On the right side you follow the blade's convex geometry. On the left one you do what's needed to compensate steering.

5. aliphares

aliphares

Exp:
    Home cook
    Will keep in mind, I do well enough with stones but mostly it's even sharpening. I wanted to ask about shipping costs over there, how much would a knife cost me in taxes and fees if i bought it off JCK? also I can't find togiharus other than some American retailers.
    PS: sorry for hijacking the the thread!

6. aliphares

aliphares

Exp:
    Home cook
    I love my sabatiers but the Mac is so we'll regarded for a reason. It and the masamoto VG are probably as good as Japanese mass produced stainelss knives get. Unless you want a good but cheaper carbon knife just to learn how more about carbon, I'd say they're a step above the sabatier. Which depends on how you like your knives. A bit of flex or stiffer as all hell.

7. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook

8. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Really, you should change that poor sharpening habit.
    As for JCK, they charge a flat rate of $7 for shipping.
    Dutch VAT is 21%, import tax of 8.5% applies only above €200 IIRC, fee is €13 or so. Some have to pay, some are lucky.

aliphares likes this.
  9. aliphares

aliphares

Exp:
    Home cook
  10. benuser

benuser

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Excellent. As you will see, the convexed Misono edge ends on the right side at some 20 degrees or so. You will have to abrade a bit of steel before this very rounded edge is gone.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  11. sirknifealot

sirknifealot

Exp:
    amateur
    Thanks for all your inputs. I made up my mind to get the Mac MBK 85.
    Not what I was expecting I would end up with, put I think you really saved me some trouble guiding me away from the asymmetrical edgesbecause of my sharpening setup :)

I really love the Mac MBK profile, and it seems to be the right way to go for my needs. I all ready own one Mac knife and love it a lot, so I guess there´s no need to change a winning team :)

Those Sabs and Robert Herder 1923 knives are nice though, so I guess I’ll check them out again at some point

12. aliphares

aliphares

Exp:
    Home cook
    Macs are amazing, like the link I sent you from BDL's post, you won't go wrong with one especially if you prefer a stiffer knife