Masahiro or Kikuichi

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by andyc10, Nov 26, 2016.

1. andyc10

andyc10

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I'm looking for a gyuto for under $200. I am teetering between kikuichi elite carbon vs masahiro carbon. Both 240mm. Any tips or suggestions? Just looking for a prep slaying workhorse. I am currently cutting with a misono ux10. I like it but it isn't good for a lot of tasks I've come to realize. Once I get a new one I'll retire that one to a slicer. I have a Kikuichi elite carbon petty and it is fantastic. So I'm leaning towards the gyuto since I know the quality. But I've heard great things about the masahiro carbon as well.

2. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  3. andyc10

andyc10

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    It's a 240 gyuto yes. The problem is that it dulls way too quickly and doesn't retain a good edge. I'm good at sharpening. I don't haven these problems with any of my other knives. I have the Kikuichi elite petty and I only have to steel it like 3 times a week, and only put it to the stone every few months. I understand that I'm not putting it through the same type of work but it just seems the steel is way better. I'm beginning to think it's just a matter of carbon vs stainless.

4. andyc10

andyc10

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I know that, that's why I bought it. But that has not been my experience. Out of the box it was dull within 2 weeks. I steeled it and it got a little better but dulled quickly (that day). Thereafter I am having to put it on a stone weekly to get anything thing out of it. My buddy had a tojiro that kept getting oddly dull. He swore it was the cutting boards we were using at that restaurant. I dono if I buy it. But I guess it's possible. But yes I steel it.

5. andyc10

andyc10

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Depending on how dull, 600->1000->6000->10,000. If it just needs a pick me up then 3000->10,000

6. andyc10

andyc10

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Thanks for your suggestion. I'm gonna send it to Korin for a professional sharpen and use it for a meat slicer. But we are off topic. Masahiro or Kikuichi?

7. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    1) Instead of a steel, use a finishing stone if space allows. Couple of stropping strokes on a 6k grit splash and go takes what.. 30 seconds? Should keep it going good as new. You only need to do full sharpening stone progression when this fails.

2) consider adding a microbevel it really helps with edge retention