marzipan

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by lilgirl8, May 15, 2010.

1. lilgirl8

lilgirl8

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi everyone. I need a good recipe for marzipan so that I can make some flowers for a special cake. The marzipan was requested.

2. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    This recipe falls somewhere between almond paste and marzipan.  If you want to tilt it to marzipan, just add more sugar.

Ingredients:
    1-1/2 cups blanched, skinned nuts
    1-1/2 cups to 1-3/4 cup superfine sugar (depends on the nut)
    1 egg white
    1 tsp fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp nut or vanilla extract
    1 pinch salt

Technique:
    Grind the nuts in a food processor or blender into a fine flour. Add the sugar and pulse. Taste, and adjust for sugar. Add the egg white, lemon juice, extract, salt and process until a paste forms. Empty the paste onto a piece of cling wrap. Using the wrap, roll the paste into a log and refrigerate for at least four hours, preferably overnight, before using.

Refrigerate up to three weeks, freeze up to four months.

BDL

PS.  This recipe is original with me.  If you want to share it you may;, but only on condition that you attribute it to me, Boar D. Laze.

3. lilgirl8

lilgirl8

Exp:
    At home cook
    When you say superfine sugar do you mean confectioner's sugar?

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    No. Superfine sugar is used when the sugar needs to dissolve easily and/or quickly. It's used in the US (I can't speak for anyplace else) in mixed drinks, but you can now buy it in supermarkets as "Baker's Sugar". C&H Company packages it in a paper bag and in a carton similar to one used for a half-gallon of milk. It looks like this:

[​IMG]