Marshmallow inside cupcakes

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by cupcakeprincess, Apr 20, 2010.

1. cupcakeprincess

cupcakeprincess

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hi,I wondered if anyone could give me any tips? I'm currently experimenting with flavours for cupcakes and I want to make a chocolate marshmallow cupcake. I want the marshmallow to be in the centre of the cupcake so it oozes out when bitten into. I have tried a few different ways to do this, but everytime the marshmallow/marshmallow fluff is pushed to the top and forms a toasted crust on top. Does anyone have any suggestions other than adding the marshmallow once the cake is cooked? Thanks

2. kayakado

kayakado

I've piped it in to the centers of cupcakes after they are baked but they have to be eaten fairly soon after filling or the commercial marshmallow like fluff melts away to nothing.  I've found it best to use a whoopie pie filling that includes vegetable shortening as a stabilizer.  You should be able to google some whoopie pie fillings to try.  Their is a special icing piping tip used for filling cakes and pastries.

3. cupcakeprincess

cupcakeprincess

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thank you, I have tried piping it after it has cooked, but it does not taste the same. I found a recipe on Nigella Lawson's site where she bakes it in, but the reviews tend to say the same as I have found, I guess it just takes practice.
    Thanks