marinating beef for 7 days?

Joined May 25, 2015
From a food safety standpoint, what's your take on marinating beef for sauerbraten in apple cider vinegar and spices for 7 days in the cooler? I do mine for two to three days because I'm afraid of spoilage but I see some restaurants go 7. Am I right to be concerned?

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I don't really see much of a problem with beef, as long as the fridge temperature is correct.
I would be a bit worried about the length of time in vinegar. The meat might become mushy, but from a safety point I see no issue

Joined Mar 1, 2017
The acid in the vinegar along with the cold temperature of the refrigerator should keep any bacteria in check. But, the question I have is why would you want to do this? The acid in the vinegar will reduce the meat to mush and probably dry it out beyond all hope of repair. In fact, the acid will literally cook the meat.

Marinading anything is generally a waste of time unless your goal is to tenderize the protein by breaking down the tissue and even then, 6-12 hours, maybe 24 depending on the protein, is all you need.

The marinade does not penetrate any more than an eighth of inch at most into the meat and can actually dry it out.

Unless you're making corned beef or something that requires a bit of fermentation, there really is no need to ever marinate any meat for 7 days.

Good luck. :)

Joined May 25, 2015
Thanks for the link. I've not had any problems after marinating for two days. I had a hunch that those places that say that they marinate for 7 days are just boasting or trying to be historically correct.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
It’s not boasting. The additional pickling time makes it taste better.

The value of the additional time also depends on what cut of beef one uses. A chuck blade roast does not need as much time as a, say, thicker eye roast.

I saw one recipe by a noted TV Chef that does not include marination... just a long slow braise. I don’t think I’d even bother trying it but he boasts about it as being his Nannies recipe that is great.

Last edited:
Joined May 25, 2015
I saw one recipe by a noted TV Chef that does not include marination... just a long slow braise. I don’t think I’d even bother trying it but he boasts about it as being his Nannies recipe that is great.

Yeah, I've encountered the same in some restaurants that is just pot roast with a sauerbraten gravy.

I like to use eye of round. Maybe I'll let one go for a week just to see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom