marinated mushrooms

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by momoreg, Apr 24, 2003.

1. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hi all,
    I'd like to make these for a party on May 4th. I'm thinking of a sesame vinaigrette, with shallots, garlic, and chiles. Having never made these before, I don't know how far ahead to start them, and what happens if they sit too long. Also, with garlic in the mix, when do they become unsafe to eat? Does the vinegar do anything to preserve it? Please add any comments, tried and true methods,or ideas. Thanks!

2. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I make them often at home just as a side dish, especially in the summer. My experience has been that the mushrooms, like domestics, will darken almost immediately. It doesn't alter the flavor, but it does diminsh the appearence. I generally make a rice wine and garlic marinade and let them steep for a day. If kept refrigerated, I do not think there would be an added risk with bacteria from the garlic (or any other additive). Lastly, the texture starts to degrade after a day... they get a bit mushy.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi Momo,

Are you going to serve these as a component of a dish? or solo.

If you are not canning I would make them the day before.

You can use a mixture of white buttons and Shiitakes for a color and textural play.

I would first make your marinade,Maybe add a bit of ginger,sake and rice wine vinegar to the shallots,garlic and chilies (no oil)

Clean your shrooms with a paper towel and blanch them very,very fast. While still warm toss them in the marinade,add a touch of salt and milled white pepper. Pop in the ice box.Just before serving add some fresh cilantro.then after there plattered drizzle with a good sesame oil.

For more texture a dice of jicama and/or slivered diakon will be nice. Toasted sesame seeds will add a fun crunchy thingy to:)

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    What about doing them the same way as Mushrooms a la Greque? That is, heat the marinade to a boil, add the mushrooms and cook them briefly, then cool the whole thing down rapidly. I find the mushrooms absorb the marinade evenly this way, and there's less fear of pathogens since the marinade is cooked. That way also you can do them a few days ahead, just keep them refrigerated.

CC's suggestion of including shiitakes is great, especially with an Asian-inflected marinade. Remember to take off their stems, though -- too tough.

5. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Thanks, guys, lots of good ideas. I like the addition of jicama or diakon.
    Good thing I asked, because I was thinking that I'd need to do them a week or so before, like a pickle, for them to really absorb the flavors.
    Suzanne, I have seen some recipes done the way you describe, and I was curious what the difference would be in terms of the final product. But if I can do it a day in advance, that's fine with me, because the shrooms an marinade can be prepped even a day earlier.

I am having the entire extended family over, for Aaron's first birthday. That's 60+ people! Cookie production is currently underway...
    :)

6. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Gee, I've only done them cooked, so I don't know what the difference would be. But if you use nice firm buttons (and whatever others) and cook them briefly, they stay mostly firm.

One year already! :eek: I'll bet he's already helping you whisk egg whites. ;)

7. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Metaphorically speaking, yes.;)

Thanks for the info., Suzanne.

8. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I don't cook my shrooms- lemon and olive oil, garlic, oregano/basil, pepper- holds at least a day or two.

9. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    To cook or not to cook---
    I wish I could try them each way, to see and taste the difference.

10. nancya

nancya

Why not make them both ways? Then next time you'll know which you and your guests prefer.

11. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I think that's the best bet. I'll post results after the party.

12. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hey guys,
    Well, judging by the fact that the shrooms were the ONLY dish that ran out, I believe they were a hit. I did a trial run 2 days before, the way CC said, and found that the shrooms could have been blanched more, because they were larger than buttons. So I did that, and also diluted the marinade. Just before serving, I poured on some peanut oil. I found that the salt really wasn't necessary with the strong flavors involved. It was delicious. Thanks for the education.:)