MARCH COOKING CHALLENGE - SLOW COOKING

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Beef ribs again.
This time on the WSM, together with a butternut
The beef ribs were lightly marinated with fish sauce and lime juice
01 wsm with beef ribs and butternut.jpg
02 wsm.jpg

While they were slowly cooked it was time for the other ingredients.
I had lots of stuff/verges that needed to be used:
04 more ingredients.jpg

03 part of other ingredients.jpg
And lots of small onions.
I cooked those whole, with Thai curry, shrimp paste and garlic paste in coconut cream.
Then added potatoes, tomatoes, egg plant, kaffir lime leaves and lime juice.

And I forgot to take pictures of the ready ribs and butternut.
The butternut was soft and very easy to peel. I added it to the curry.
Cut the ribs in pieces (gave the bones to my dogs) and added to the curry as well.

The result:
Everything but the kitchen sink Thai red curry
05 curry halfway with small onions-coconut cream-eggplant-tomato-potato-lime-garlic-kaffir lime.jpg

Last edited:
Joined May 28, 2015
Final fling! Slow cooked spiced gammon which I turned into several other dishes. This was the cheapest cut of gammon you can buy in the UK (About £5 per kilo which is probably less than $3 per pound). I cooked it in a slow cooker (crock-pot) for 4 hours.

fullsizeoutput_42dd.jpeg

The spicy players:

fullsizeoutput_42da.jpeg

The dishes that resulted were...

Spiced Gammon with Ravigote Sauce:

fullsizeoutput_438f.jpeg

Pho with glass noodles and quail's egg (broth from the gammon was passed through a fine sieve to clarify):

fullsizeoutput_42fe.jpeg

Gammon Terrine with Pineapple and Chilli Relish:

fullsizeoutput_4367.jpeg

Spicy Gammon and Turkey Burger (the gammon shredded and mixed with minced turkey):

fullsizeoutput_433c.jpeg

Last edited:
Joined Sep 8, 2015
Thanks @mike. It was a fun challenge with lots of great entries.

I'd appreciate some suggestions for next month. Off the top of my head are Indian, South and Central America, Yucatan, or Mrs. Hank's idea is Family Favorites. She thought this might draw in more participation, which seems to have been down lately.

Joined Sep 8, 2015
Final fling! Slow cooked spiced gammon which I turned into several other dishes. This was the cheapest cut of gammon you can buy in the UK (About £5 per kilo which is probably less than $3 per pound). I cooked it in a slow cooker (crock-pot) for 4 hours.

View attachment 66343

The spicy players:

View attachment 66342

The dishes that resulted were...

Spiced Gammon with Ravigote Sauce:

View attachment 66344

Pho with glass noodles and quail's egg (broth from the gammon was passed through a fine sieve to clarify):

View attachment 66345

Gammon Terrine with Pineapple and Chilli Relish:

View attachment 66346

Spicy Gammon and Turkey Burger (the gammon shredded and mixed with minced turkey):

View attachment 66349
Your photography is amazing morning glory

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Congratulations hank hank
And yes, there were plenty beef ribs in this challenge. I like them and on top of them, they are very well priced here at about 3 U$ per kg ;)
As for the next challenge: I am looking forward to it ;)

Joined May 28, 2015
Thanks @mike. It was a fun challenge with lots of great entries.

I'd appreciate some suggestions for next month. Off the top of my head are Indian, South and Central America, Yucatan, or Mrs. Hank's idea is Family Favorites. She thought this might draw in more participation, which seems to have been down lately.
I'll go for any of the above - but Family Favourites might bring in more participation although its a bit too broad perhaps? I mean, literally any dish under the sun (puddings, cakes, stews, pizzas, burgers, etc.) could be someone's family fave!

Joined Nov 5, 2007
While at work watching the sun come up I got to thinking about springtime, and remembered a friend used to host an annual Tulip Party. Fun event, tasty treats, fresh squeezed lemonade and champagne in abundance. Got me thinking that perhaps garden party brunch or finger foods might be good challenge themes.

mjb.

Joined Sep 8, 2015
I'll go for any of the above - but Family Favourites might bring in more participation although its a bit too broad perhaps? I mean, literally any dish under the sun (puddings, cakes, stews, pizzas, burgers, etc.) could be someone's family fave!
Good point. Maybe family favorite dinner dishes? I'll be out and about until noon pacific time, then I'll pick something.

Joined Sep 8, 2015
Or maybe the broader the better would go more to the idea of increasing participation. I must sound like an economist. On one hand, on the other .....

Finger foods sounds kinda cool too.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Another option is maybe gluten free?
Getting all the dieters and celiacs to join?
Or baking?
I

Latest posts

Top Bottom