MARCH COOKING CHALLENGE - SLOW COOKING

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mike9, Mar 2, 2019.

1. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    These are Sous Vide Short Ribs.
    IMG_3524.JPG IMG_3525.JPG IMG_3526.JPG IMG_3527.JPG IMG_3528.JPG IMG_3529.JPG

It took 47 hours at 148 to cook them.
    I served them with Sauteed Zucchini, Polenta, and a Jus made from the juice in the bag.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    hank, dectra, butzy and 1 other person like this.
  2. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That is really slow cooking! Did you add anything to the bag before cooking?

3. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This looks totally delicious.

4. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Thyme, a few black peppercorns, and a bayleaf piece. No salt though.

morning glory and dectra like this.
  5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    So simple, so tasty. Took a package of store bought corned beef. Rinsed it off, let it soak in cold water for about an hour to get some of the excess salt out. Meanwhile, brought the sous vide up to 165F. Drained and dried the hunk of brisket, sprinkled the contents of the seasoning packet on it. Into the hot tub for 24 hours.

20190313_073201.jpg

Moist, tender, tasty and so little work involved.

mjb.

chefross likes this.
  6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    IMG_20190313_130835.jpg Smoked some chicken. Rubbed, gave it an hour with just smoke. Brushed lightly with oil hoping to improve the skin, up to 325 to finish, continung with the smoke.

Yes, the oil helped, but im looking for better skin still.

hank and morning glory like this.
  7. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Need higher temps for crispy chicken skin, try finishing at 375 for at least 15 min(30 preferably)

butzy and mike9 like this.
  8. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef

I want to do this now....How many pounds was your roast for the 24 hours?

9. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It was just over 3 pounds, 3.3 I think, point cut.

mjb.

chefross likes this.
  10. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Back when I would frequent various BBQ forums, getting chicken skin "just right" was always a popular topic. It isn't that easy.

mjb.

11. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    We're past the half way mark - Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone.

12. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Okay.....mine was a little over 2 1/2 pounds. It went in at 165 for 21 hours and came out perfect. Sous Vide is fun

13. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Even though it was a really simple process, kind of wish I had done an American Corned Beef and Cabbage dish to post. But just slices of it still warm with a bit of deli mustard with extra horseradish stirred in was very tasty.

I do have another entry in the works:

20190318_102412.jpg

May get to posting it tomorrow.

mjb.

14. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Milanese Osso Bucco

The day before I made veal stock by first roasting the veal bones and onion, then simmered the stock for 10 hours.

IMG_0374.JPG IMG_0380.JPG IMG_0381.JPG IMG_0406.JPG

I seared the shanks and braised in olive oil, butter, white wine, onion, rosemary, pan roasted buckwheat flour and stock. I also very thinly sliced garlic and sautéed it in oil to make garlic chips for the gremolada. After cooking for about 3 hours I strained the braising liquid and swirled in butter to make a sauce.

IMG_0419.JPG IMG_0394.JPG IMG_0443.JPG

I finished with the garlic chips, lemon zest, and parsley, and served with saffron risotto and a green bean salad.

IMG_1997.jpg

15. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I also made Guinness lamb stew last week and forgot to post it. Pictures of the process didn't seem necessary because, well, stew.

IMG_1924.jpg

morning glory and butzy like this.
  16. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    C'mon folks - only 6 days left . . .

17. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Another "short" entry.

20190324_175707.jpg

Beef short ribs. They were dry brined as they say, with kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder, went into the fridge for about 12 hours.

Rinsed off and air dried on a rack for about half an hour. Meanwhile the oven was heating up to a whopping 260F ( 126C ). Ribs were set in a cast iron skillet and went in the oven for not 1, not 2 but 3 hours. Low and slow.

Pulled out, ribs put on a plate and back in the oven to keep warm. Oven turned off.

About 2 tablespoons of butter was added to the drippings in the skillet, set over a medium low heat burner. About half a pounds of sliced mushrooms tossed in after the butter started to sizzle. I can't recall the exact study, but somewhere it was scientifically proven that a pound of mushrooms being sauteed was capable of absorbing 17.6 pounds of butter. Anyway the mushrooms were dusted with some salt and hot paprika. When about done a couple cloves of minced garlic was added, a few minutes later a good splash of dry sherry. It alll then went on a plate.

20190325_111704.jpg

Tasty! The beef was salted just about right. I made these once and put them in the oven without rinsing off the brining salt, barely edible. These were good. A bit toothsome, but not tough, maybe another half hour in the oven.

Simple and delicious.

mjb.

18. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Oh dear. Just got a call from my boss, another driver had a stroke this morning. He'll be out for a week or two, so my schedule could get hectic as we try to cover for him. Most likely I won't get to my slow smoked pork ribs or the black bean and lamb stew I had planned. Oh well. But I did get one dish done the other day which is suitable for this challenge. Used my sous vide/slow cooker combo device for this.

The Players

20190317_091857.jpg
    20190318_092649.jpg
    20190318_094831.jpg

Black eye peas with ham hocks and other pig parts. We have a nice smoked ham shank and a couple of trotters. We have black eye peas, molasses, garlic, bell pepper onion. We have salt pork, oregano, ground cumin, black pepper and chili powder.

The Procedure

First off, taking a page from Chinese cookbooks, the trotters were put in a pot, covered with cold water and brought to a boil. After about 10 minutes off the heat, they were rinsed and cooled. Then into a 425F oven for about 25 minutes to get some browning on them. Thought I had a pic of this, but no. Then into the sous vide pot, covered with cold water, brought to 190F and steeped for about 12 hours.

Then a few slices of salt pork were cubed and rendered.

Most of you know what this smells like, I imagine.

20190318_101709.jpg

Diced onions and garlic sweating in the rendered fat, pepper waiting its turn.

20190318_102412.jpg

Veggies put into the cooker, along with the spices, switched from sous vide to slow cooker mode. Off to work I go.

Come back and it is done. One will go straight to Hell if one serves black eye peas without cornbread, made a gluten free cheese and scallion skillet of the stuff:

20190319_111709.jpg

The Product

20190319_113545.jpg

This ended up being a bit more soupy than intended, but I did make cornbread. VERY tasty!

mjb.

ps: And pursuant to another thread, I purchased an item to work on the square, soft boiled scotch egg experiment. Maybe the next challenge will be sausage or deep frying, and this could be an entry. We shall see.

20190326_154743.jpg

morning glory and butzy like this.
  19. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I like pig parts - they're my favorite kinds.

20. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    More pig parts.

20190328_171947.jpg

A 5 pound slab of spares. After a few hectic days at work, including a 12 hour shift earlier today, I should have the evening off. Unless the phone rings with my boss calling me. Anyway, I hoped to have time to do a nice slow smoked rack while I have a few hours available. Turns out I had the time, the weather was not very cooperative, though.

The ribs got peeled, but I didn't do any other trimming or prep work. Then they got hit with a generous dusting of my HoosierQ Rib Rub. The recipe was on the wasatchfoodies web page, but that currently doesn't work like it should. But it is:

2 T sugar
    2 T kosher salt
    2 T paprika
    1 T onion powder
    1 T cumin
    1 T dry mustard
    1 T granulated garlic
    1 T basil
    1 T ground allspice
    1 T Hot Shot pepper mix

The Hot Shot is just a blend of ground black and ground red peppers. You may notice the rub has a fairly low sugar content, that's the way I like it.

So while the slab is sitting on the counter letting the rub soak in, so to speak, time for fire.

20190328_182449.jpg

Had this offset unit for some years, I think it deserves a bit of a makeover this summer. Get a chimney of charcoal going, dump it in the fire box. The ribs go in the chamber, with one temp probe in the meat another stuck through some carrot sticks to monitor temp at the grate. Added a handful of hickory chips to the fire, back in the house to relax. Things go well for a while, but black, ominous clouds are welling up to the west.

The storm arrives, wind and rain, large drop in temperature both in the air and in the smoker. I fuss around, but the chamber temp drops under 200F. So I decide to finish the ribs in the oven, in a nice, warm, dry kitchen. They got close to 3 hours of smoke, so hopefully the flavor will be there.

Into the 250F oven for close to 3 hours more. Temp hits 190F, out they come. Let them rest a bit, then the moment of truth.

20190328_221134.jpg

I won't be starving to death tonight.

mjb.

hank likes this.