MARCH COOKING CHALLENGE - SLOW COOKING

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mike9, Mar 2, 2019.

1. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Ok - I was thinking of preserved/pickled foods, but that might put a lot of people off, but I'm a big fan of breaking down tough foods via SLOW COOKING. @eastshores hosted one like this in 2016, but being that it's March (the new February here in the NE) we're digging into our freezers, root cellars, pantries, etc., not to mention there are some great slow cooking/roasting dishes for the non carnivore members. So - let the game be afoot and lets see some slow cooked goodness people.

In the meantime I'll be slow cooking some venison shanks and slow roasting a variety of vegetables.

I'll also be putting the tractor on the trickle charger and topping the tank off with fresh diesel mix as the first March snow storm is expected this weekend - how lovely. Last year we got 12" - 18" of snow per dump every week. Like I said - the new February.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    ypsichick and harpua like this.
  2. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Well I can’t relate much coming from Los Angeles, however there was apparently some actual snow fall in the valley and parts of LA last week. That’s new.

Very excited about this challenge. Love a good slow cook!

Does smoking for hours on end count?

3. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Ah, Harpua asked the same question as I was going to ask: does low and slow smoking count?

4. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Good challenge @mike9. I'm assuming sous vide counts. But I also have a slow cooker (crockpot in US) so it may be a good time to get it out from under the stairs.

5. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Low and Slow any way you want to make it.

morning glory likes this.
  6. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Very nice choice. Hope I get some entries in this month, got nothing done for the last challenge.

mjb.

7. ypsichick

ypsichick

Exp:
    Other
    I was thinking slow low cooked... Am I not supposed to tell what I've cooked. This will be my first entry.

8. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Slow cooking doesn't require special equipment, a braise is slow cooking, putting a roast in the oven at 275 is slow cooking...

To bad my deck is buried under 4' of snow... I am craving a slab of ribs on the smoker... BBQ is the quintessential slow cooking method!

9. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You can tell us!

10. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    If you cooked it this month, post a picture and you've entered.

11. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I am currently thinking at least 4 dishes, highlighting 4 different methods. One in a classic slow cooker crock, one sous vide, one in a coolish ovens [ 250 275 F ] overnight and then in the wood fired smoker. Actually I will likely do something I have enjoyed before, sous vide beef chuck that goes in the smoker for a few hours to finish.
    We'll see how the month goes.

mjb.

12. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    OK - my apologies for not posting "the rules" so for the newbies - here they are"

The rules:
    - The challenge begins on the 1st [3rd/4th this time depending on where you live!] of every month and the last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
    - You may post multiple entries.
    - All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
    - If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
    - Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
    - The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
    - Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.

13. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    THe beef short ribs are defrosting.......

14. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    x

15. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Pot roasted Guinea Fowl with turnips and garlic.

First I browned the Guinea Fowl, then added to the pot with bay leaves, thyme, a large head of garlic, peppercorns, brown onion halved (skin on) juniper berries and turnips. Then a generous amount of brandy and white wine.

fullsizeoutput_42b0.jpeg

Brought the pot to a simmer then placed in 160C oven for 90 mins with lid on. Removed lid and roasted another 30 mins at 180C.
    Removed the vegetables and Guinea fowl (keeping warm) and strained stock into a saucepan. Reduced stock by a half and added cornflour to thicken.

fullsizeoutput_42b2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_429e.jpeg

dectra, planethoff, hank and 2 others like this.
  16. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    @hank - what happened? I read your description in the email, but it's not here.

@morning glory - That's a good looking dish.

17. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Beef short ribs:
    I had them marinating in a marinade of sweet soy, fish sauce, garlic, chili and vinegar.
    Here they are ready to go into the oven:
    I was going to do them in the little smoker (WSM) but there was a storm brewing....
    I had the oven set to 150 oC
    03 ready for oven.jpg

I turned them at 1 hours in
    04 1 hour in at 150 oC - turned.jpg
    Meanwhile I made a salad of cucumber, pickled onion, beer vinegar, mustard, garlic, olive oil and tomato (and a sprinkle of fish sauce for an Asian slant)
    06 salad close up.jpg
    After 2 hours, I put a couple of ribs on a rack to crisp them up somewhat.
    07 finishing ribs to make them a bit criepier - 2 hours in.jpg

then turned of the oven and took out the ones I was going to eat.
    08 ready.jpg

And then the final dish: beef rib salad (loosely based on the SE Asian salads, hot meat tossed in with room temperature salad)
    09 beef rib salad.jpg
    I could have eaten plenty more!
    Very tender meat and a good combination
    (and I should have wiped the bowl before taking a picture, but by now I was hungry!)

gukucudi, planethoff, fatcook and 3 others like this.
  18. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @mike9, sorry about that. First I hit the post button accidentally, then after 4 photos I kept getting an error message trying to upload the fifth, determined it was likely on CT's end, and figured I get back to it later but got busy. An any event ...

Mississippi boneless beef short ribs

Which aren't ribs at all, but a nice cut from the chuck just in front of the rib.

I liberally salt and peppered and then browned the beef on all sides. Then seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, rosemary, dill, and grated parmesan cheese.

IMG_0319.JPG

I made a braising mixture of sauted onion and mushrooms, chicken stock, soy sauce, and a touch of Worcestershire sauce.

IMG_0323.JPG

I topped it with peperonchino and butter.

IMG_0339.JPG

Into the oven for three hours.

IMG_1904.jpg

I served them with polenta, roasted carrots with thyme and parsley, and a nice green salad with a roasted garlic dressing.

IMG_1908.jpg

Mrs. Hank loved it but it was far from low fat. The butter provided a lot of sweetness but could be omitted, you know, so the heart blows up later.

morning glory, planethoff and fatcook like this.
  19. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    Great minds think alike. Beef Short Ribs. Lol.
    Started with dry rub: kosher salt, black pepper, granulated garlic,granulated onion.
    Smoked with apple wood. 3 hours giving apple juice/vinegar baste every 45 min
    C3A087C1-A1B2-4666-A5C0-E3B7D14C09AB.jpeg
    Put in pot with mirepoix. Wine and beef stock. Cooked 4 more hours.
    2E63DEBC-4B16-4463-91A0-354CE5A6A9C3.jpeg

Served with Burgundy gravy, Boursin mashed potatoes, and ginger ale glazed carrots.
    I had too much ch going on to post a staged photo, so here is how it came:
    D9BCEE90-6241-465D-8857-3EEBC16165E5.jpeg
    It was incredible.

Followed up with nice dessert/digestif
    New Orleans Cold Brew Martini and mini eclairs

C19FEB58-639B-4EC9-B059-C57229139189.jpeg

hank, harpua, morning glory and 2 others like this.
  20. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Beef ribs seem to be popular at the moment. Like these.

The Players

First off not short ribs, but back ribs, or beef spareribs as Winco calls them.

20190305_080139.jpg

And some seasoning.

20190308_105359.jpg

We're looking at salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, dry mustard, and smoked paprika.

The Process

Pretty simple, not very complicated. First off the slab of ribs was cut into chunks that would fit into my sous vide device. then they were salted and left to sit on the counter while the water came up to temp, 150F. Then they got sealed up and dunked in the water for about 52 hours.

20190305_092800.jpg

It was going to be only about 45 hours, but work got in the way. They were pulled out of the water, taken out of the bag and sat out a bit to dry.

20190308_103945.jpg

Meat straight out of sous vide doesn't look all that appealing. After they dried a bit they were seasoned generously with the dry rub, then into a 425F oven for about 15 minutes.

The Product

20190308_120203.jpg

The ribs were pretty spare, not that much meat on them. I usually get these to make beef stock, think this is the first time I cooked them to eat as a main item. The flavor was very nice, they were amazingly tender but there just wasn't that much meat on the bones. Will likely try these again using better ribs, and waiting for better weather and finish over charcoal outside.

Served with some garlic toast and some doctored up canned beans they still made for a nice meal.

mjb.

hank, butzy and morning glory like this.