MARCH 2020 CHALLENGE - MASHUP

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Not one single post in over a week? Wow.

20200326_123346.jpg

Got the kimchee fermenting along, lousy picture I know. Think bratwurst and sauerkraut, but it won't be bratwurst, and it won't be sauerkraut. Have two days off, hope to get it done and documented by the deadline.

mjb.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
I didn't really plan on entering this one, but all of a sudden, here we are. Like everyone else, I suppose, I'm developing strange recipes based on what I find in my freezer, pantry, and fridge. For fresh vegetables and such, I'm trying to hold out and make things like salad, and this means that more cooked stuff depends on frozen a lot. So I went sorting through the chest freezer in the basement and found some oddities, and then I had some thoughts.

First, I found a 2.5-year-old frozen turkey, so almost a week ago we had roast turkey, and now I was left with nothing but a lot of good stock, the rest having been eaten in one form or another. So... soup. Then I thought of gumbo, and found a recipe by Paul Prudhomme which I adapted about as drastically as one reasonably could imagine. What I've ended up with is a kind of gumbo-like stew.

I started by cooking the heck out of a lot of frozen corn and some onions.

img_20200330_130844167_49717682611_o.jpg
This got cooked and cooked with bits of the stock to deglaze, and then I added more onions and a whole pile of random vegetables. I had fresh carrots and celery, and then a bag of mixed diced frozen stuff that I'd put aside quite some time ago; it included bell peppers, tomatoes, and who knows what-all else.
img_20200330_130854242_49717997192_o.jpg
Once this was pretty thoroughly cooked and starting to thicken a bit, I added the last bits of turkey stuffing and a whole bunch of seasoning mix, and cooked even further:
img_20200330_130907396_49717143693_o.jpg img_20200330_130910344_49717683031_o.jpg
Finally I added stock, brought it to the boil, and then added some cut-up Omaha Steaks "chicken-fried steak" instant mess that someone gave us as a gift. (Don't buy this: it's AWFUL.) I figured this was the only way to eat it, i.e., covered up by a great deal of other flavor.
img_20200330_130918691_49717997357_o.jpg img_20200330_130849503_49717996902_o.jpg
Then I let it cook a long time, adding some chopped kamaboko that was drying out (that's a Japanese surimi product, very mild fish flavor and kind of rubbery texture, difficult to damage); this substituted for a little shrimp -- it's the bright pink stuff in there.
img_20200330_134312051_49717997577_o.jpg
So that's my entry. It's sort of gumbo, and sort of something very different, and ultimately it's spicy and reasonably delicious. There's also a great deal of it, which is convenient since I have to feed everyone lunch every day as well as dinner.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Okay, time to post what I did, finally, not much time to spare.

The other day I wanted some bratwurst and sauerkraut, which got me to thinking. So here's the cabbage and sausage dish I came up with for the challenge.

The Players

First, the cabbage part.

20200324_042018.jpg

Decided to do a kimchee, been a while since my last batch. Napa cabbage, Korean red pepper powder, garlic, dried shrimp, salt. Yes, there is a daikon radish in the pic but I forgot to put it in. Oops.

For the sausage:

20200331_063112.jpg

Here we have about 1.25 pounds beef chuck, just under a pound of lamb, garlic, parsley and baking soda. The basic foundation of a good Balkan cevapi style sausage. And a sauce to go with it.

20200331_064406.jpg

Eggplant, red bell garlic and lemon juice, basic ayvar sauce.

The Process

About a week before the final dish the cabbage was cut into chunks, salted, brined, rinsed and then the shrimp, garlic and chili powder were mixed in. Put it into quart jars, topped with the brine [ about 3.5% salt ] and allowed to sit for a while.

Today was the day, so the meat was run through the grinder attachment on my KitchenAide, followed by the the coarsely chopped onion. The finely minced garlic and parsley were added, mixed a bit, the baking soda dissolved in some hot water went in, all well mixed.

20200331_080000.jpg

The mix was put in a bowl, covered with plastic wrap and stashed in the fridge for a while.

Then the eggplant and peppers were put in a hot oven, 450F, for about 45 minutes to soften and char the skin. Pulled out and left to cool for a bit. Then skins and stems removed, into the food processor.

20200331_111013.jpg

Added garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and about a tablespoon of that Korean chili powder. After a good buzz, it too was stashed in the fridge for a few hours.

Started on the pita bread. Basic dough, yeast dissolved in warm water, a cup of flour mixed in, let it sit. When it started to get bubbly added a couple more cups of flour, some salt and a splash of olive oil. Once again the Kitchenaide was doing the work, the dough hook doing its thing for about 5 - 6 minutes. Covered the dough, let it sit for about 2 hours until doubled in volume. Then it was kneaded a bit, cut into 8 portions, formed into balls.

20200331_170529.jpg

Those were covered with plastic wrap, allowed to rest and rise a bit. Meanwhile got some charcoal going in the smoker grill. I decided I was going to try something new, baking the bread on a stone in the grill. While the fire was getting hot, shaped some of the meat into sausage sized blobs on some skewers. Onto the grill they went.

20200331_175739.jpg

The cevapi skewers worked great, the pita on the rock, not so much. Went with plan B on those, cast iron griddle on the stovetop. Better, but not what I had hoped for.

The Product

20200331_192247.jpg

The pita did not puff up and separate, forming a pocket like I anticipated. But it was soft and somewhat fluffy, unlike the, uh, flour jerky I got from the too cold baking stone on the grill. The cevapi was very tasty, the mix of beef and lamb was tasty. Certainly got the garlic, the parsley not so much. But eaten with some of that ayvar sauce and the red onion quite a treat. The kimchee was not as spicy as I expected, I used half a cup of the Korean pepper powder for just one head of cabbage, though it might be too much. It wasn't, could have used more.

So even with some problems along the way, I still ended up with a Bosnian - Korean mashup that was a tasty, satisfying meal.

mjb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Well here we are April 1st 2020 at the end of the strangest challenge yet I believe. You'd think with only four entries this would be an easy choice, but not so fast. In the end it's come down to @ChefBryan's Bulgogi burger and teamfat teamfat 's Bosnian/Korean mashup. I was musing about flipping a coin, but that would be a cop out - LOL. The winner of the March 2020 Challenge is teamfat teamfat that mashup piqued my imagination - Congratulations!!!

Top Bottom