MARCH 2020 CHALLENGE - MASHUP

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Ok good people of Cheftalk - it's March and in the spirit of March Madness and pre-Playoff Hockey this month's challenge is MASHUP. Webster's defines MASHUP as: a mixture or fusion of disparate elements. For instance - I loath boiled dinners like Corned Beef and Cabbage so some years ago I came up with Rueben Golumkis because well I love stuffed cabbage and Rueben's, but I hate boiled cabbage. It's quite a hit around here and the people I gift it too always appreciate it. So this month's challenge is to take ingredients from two different cultures and make a dish combining both. Not two things on a plate, but one item with ingredients from two, or more cultures. Yeah some call it "Fusion", but I'm originally from Detroit and we called it "MASHUP". So the same rules apply and I'll post them in a minute, but I encourage everyone to stretch their wings and take a stab at this one - new and old alike.
And now for the Blah, Blah, Blah:

So, as usual, here are the traditional rules:
  • The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
  • You may post multiple entries.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
  • The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.
Good luck and get crackin'

Last edited:
Joined May 28, 2015
When I first glanced at the title I thought it meant literally 'mashed food' like mashed potatoes. That would have been strange!

This is a perfect theme for me with plenty of scope.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I hope I have some time this month (and access to internet).
It actually sounds like m normal type of cooking (obviously not teamfat teamfat 's suggestions although the kimchi beignets sound like something I could make)

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I hope I have some time this month (and access to internet).
It actually sounds like m normal type of cooking (obviously not teamfat teamfat 's suggestions although the kimchi beignets sound like something I could make)
Gosh, no one likes my ideas? How about, say, a bratwurst ceviche with extra cilantro and sauerkraut?

Seriously, the Kentucky Fried sushi reminded me of a dish I presented a few months back, my beef welling-san. Head to England to start a classic beef wellington, do the sear, slather in mustard, the mushrooms, but then instead of puff pastry zip halfway around the world, roll it in sushi rice, dip in tempura batter and deep fry. Maybe I'll do another take on that concept.

mjb.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Boy, the entries are just rolling in! Of course, you haven't seen anything from me yet. Maybe there's a way to work St. Patrick's Day into this.

mjb.

Joined Nov 10, 2017
not sure if you would consider this a mash up or fusion of different cultural cuisine, but I will be doing another play on eggs bene on the 19th. Pretzel roll for a base, topped with my maple bourbon butternut pulled pork, egg, possibly poached but most likely over easy, smoked gouda mornay, and finished with a cranberry molasses.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Today at noon we will be half way through the month. I realize this is a difficult time, but keep calm, wash your hands and cook something . . . then wash them again.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Picked up ingredients for a batch of kimchee this afternoon. Luckily the store had plenty of dried shrimp and Korean red chili powder. I was wondering if napa cabbage might be in short supply, last time I went to the big chain grocery store the produce section looked like a hurricane had hit it.

Anyway, a Korean + <undisclosed> mashup coming soon.

mjb.

Joined Nov 10, 2017
Maple Bourbon Butternut Bene.jpg

Maple Bourbon Butternut Bene.

Description is a couple posts up. Didn't have time for pics of process. Barely had time to get this done with all of the emergency planning we had to do. Closed to the public but staff will still get to enjoy this.

Top Bottom