Marcella Hazan

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by cape chef, Feb 29, 2004.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I made a recipe last night from her book "Marcella Cucina" that was very good.

It was eggplant balls filled with Mozz.

This is the recipe.

I took two eggplants, washed and sliced about an 1/2 inch thick and leached them with salt for about an hour.

Then I patted them dry and placed them on a cookie sheet in a pre-heated 350 degree oven on the top rack and cooked them until they were tender and dry. This took about 40 minutes.

As they were cooking I chopped half a cup of flat leaf parsley, grated half a cup of parm, minced two cloves of garlic (not in her recipe) I made a batter with two eggs and a tablespoon of flour and made some fresh bread crumbs.

After the eggplants where cooked and able to be handled I chopped them fine and put them in a bowl,added the parm,parsley, garlic, 1 egg, salt and black pepper and enough bread crumbs just to bind.

I then cut the oveline into about a 1/2 inch diced, sprinkled with evoo and pepper flakes (not in her recipe) then formed the eggplant mixture into little balls, about the size of a ping pong ball,made a little indentation with my finger and filled the hole with a piece of cheese, then rolled them like a meatball to encase the cheese, I then fried them in vegetable and olive oils for a moment on each side and served them with a fresh tomato sauce.

It was a side dish for our meal but could see these as an app or made smaller for HDO's

give it a try, there good.

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    CC, this sounds simple and very tasty.

One question: what is "oveline"? :confused:

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sorry Anne,

It is fresh Mozzarella, ovilene is the size (about the size of an egg)

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thanks, CC!