1/2 cup vinegar
2/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 lb. fresh tiger shrimp
1 cup sliced mango
1 cup orange segments
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper

1. Heat the butter over medium heat until it starts to bubble.

2. Add onions and garlic and simmer over low to medium heat until onions are translucent.

3. Add ketchup, fruit salsa, chili powder, cinnamon, lemon juice, vinegar, maple syrup and soy sauce.

4. Cook the sauce over low to medium heat for about 25 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside, covered.

5. Meanwhile, steam shelled and deveined tiger shrimp, with tails attached, for five to six minutes, or until they are opaque.

6. Add tiger shrimp to maple sauce and add the mango slices, orange sections, salt and pepper.

7. Serve over a bed of rice or angel hair pasta.

BAKED MAPLE SQUASH

5 cups steamed butternut, acorn or spaghetti squash
3 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/3 cup maple syrup
4 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup slivered almonds

1. Steam the squash in advance in a steamer or wrapped in tin foil and bake in a oven until it is completely soft.

2. Remove the squash from the oven and peel off the skin. Cool and mash the squash until it is the consistency of mashed potatoes.

3. Mix squash, egg whites, maple syrup, butter, cinnamon and almonds together. Grease an eight inch square baking pan and spoon the squash mix into the pan. Bake at 400 F for 20 to 25 minutes.

MAPLE GOUDA SOUP

1/3 cup unsalted butter
4 cups chopped leek, white parts only
2 medium yellow onions, chipped
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
11/2 cups chopped Portobello mushrooms
1/4 cup maple syrup
4 cups vegetable stock
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups water
1 tsp. sea salt
1 whole baby Gouda cheese, diced
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

1. In a large saucepan, melt the butter and saute the leek, onions, garlic and mushrooms over medium heat for about 10 minutes.

2. Remove from heat and add syrup and vegetable stock. Blend in the flour and water and return to the heat. Simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes. Add the cheese for the last five minutes. Stir and heat until cheese is melted.

3. Add the parsley just before serving. Serve immediately with a crusty baguette.

MAPLE MANGO SPINACH SALAD

6 cups fresh spinach
6 cups romaine hearts, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
2 cups seedless red grapes
1 cup dark raisins
1 cup macadamia nuts, halved
2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into wedges

VINAIGRETTE

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp. salt

1. Toss all salad ingredients together in a large salad bowl.

2. Shake the dressing ingredients together and toss with salad. Serve on chilled glass plates.

SWEET AND SOUR MAPLE CHICKEN WINGS

2 lb. chicken wings or drumettes
1 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 eggs
3 Tbsp. water
1/4 cup sunflower oil
1/2 cup vinegar
2/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 onion, finely chopped

1. Separate the chicken wings at the joints. Discard the tips.

2. Mix the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs and water. Dip the chicken wings into the egg mixture, then into the flour mixture. Heat the oil in a skillet and brown the chicken wings.

3. Place the wings in a large baking dish. Combine the vinegar, maple syrup, soy sauce and onion and pour over the chicken wings. Cover with lid or aluminum foil and bake at 350 F for one hour.

STRAWBERRY MAPLE CREAM

2 cups small strawberries
1/3 cup maple sugar or maple syrup
1/4 cup maple cream liqueur
1 1/4 cup whipping cream
3 Tbsp. maple sugar

1. Reserve about 10 strawberries for decoration. Place the remaining strawberries in a medium-sized bowl and blend in a blender. Add maple syrup and mix well.

2. Whip maple cream liqueur, whipping cream and maple sugar until the cream holds stiff peaks. Fold in mashed strawberries.

3. Spoon strawberry cream into individual dessert dishes or parfait glasses. Garnish with fresh, whole berries.

MAPLE FRUIT SALAD

2 bananas, peeled and thickly sliced
2 peaches, peeled and sliced
lemon juice
2 cups hulled, sliced strawberries
2 cups sliced mango
2 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
1 cup fresh raspberries
2 cups blueberries
1 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup maple whisky
1/2 cup maple cream liqueur
2 cups whipping cream
6 Tbsp. maple syrup

1. Sprinkle the banana and peach slices with lemon juice to preserve colour. Add remaining fruit and combine in a large salad bowl.

2. Mix the maple syrup with the maple whiskey and cream liqueur and pour over fruit.

3. Add the six tablespoons of maple syrup to the whipped cream and top individual servings of salad with flavoured whipping cream right before serving.

Joined Feb 9, 2002
Wow...lots of goodies! I found this one - sounds so simple after all those I read, but I thought it sounded interesting - haven't tried it yet though..

MAPLE RICE PUDDING

1 quart skim milk
2 cups cooked long-grain white rice
1/3 cup sugar free maple syrup plus 2 tablespoons sugar free maple syrup
1 teaspoons grated orange rind
1/3 cups broken walnuts

Combine the milk and rice in a large saucepan. Cook, stirring, over
medium-low heat until the mixture boils and thickens, about 25
minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup maple syrup and cook 10 minutes more. Add
the orange rind and vanilla. Pour into 4 (8-ounce) dessert bowls or
custard cups; then allow to cool at room temperature. Meanwhile, heat
the walnuts in a small heavy frying pan over low heat, stirring,
until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons
maple syrup. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the syrup boils
and coats the walnuts, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle on the puddings.

Joined Feb 7, 2002
Ok, i've been "hanging out" at Cheftalk for awhile now, yet somehow I missed this chat...and me being a "Real Vermonter" and all and not one of those d*mned flatlanders.

Maple syrup runs like blood in my veins. When my older brother lived at home, he would boil sap -- a looooong process to actually get the syrup, and then store it in canning jars and we'd have maple syrup all year long.

I made maple syrup pie for Easter -- to die for!!!!! I'll post the recipe later -- can't right now being at work and all.

Dunk

p.s. funny story - when I lived in New Jersey, I worked with this guy who said, and i qoute "I don't understand what the big deal is. I know how maple syrup is made; I saw Bugs Bunny do it - you put the tap in the tree and maple syrup comes out." I laughed long and hard after that and he never did live it down. For Christmas, I had to get him real maple syrup, because he had never tried it. My goal in life is to convert everyone to the "real thing."

Joined Feb 7, 2002
p.s. did you know that you are only a "real Vermonter" if you were born in the state. You could have moved here when you were a day old, but since you weren't born here you will Never be a real Vermonter.

Just a quick fact for the day :)

Joined Apr 19, 2001
Okay, Dunk, now that we've captured a real Vermonter, the question of the day IS:

Grade A or B? What's your favorite???

Joined Feb 7, 2002
I must say I prefer light amber (grade A) on my pancakes, waffles, cream of wheat... -- it's thinner and I love it when it soaks right into the pancakes. When I cook or bake, I always use the darker syrup -- like for baked squash, pies, fudge...my dad just made maple syrup fudge last weekend - I call it mystery fudge, because other than I know there's maple syrup in it, he always adds all kinds of things, usually whatever happens to be in the kitchen (and people wonder where I learned to bake...). This time I think he added coconut, walnuts and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Wicked sweet and definitly delicious.

Some favorite food memories...since you all got me the topic of maple syrup now...maple butter on hot rolls just out of the oven; dipping homemade buttermilk donuts in maple cream; sugar on snow, again with buttermilk donuts and lots of pickles :).

Ok, I'd better stop now...I'm kicking myself for not bringing some of my dad's fudge to work with me arggg.. now I have to wait till I get home.

Dunk

Joined Mar 22, 2002
Starlite -
I used to make syrup on a Vermont dairy farm. A lot of syrup comes from Canada, and it's good, but I'm biased to VT. VT. also has standards for the density, color and grading of VT. syrup.
I wonder if syrup should be sold with the vintage year on the label. The lovely delicate flavor of first run grade A is most pronounced in fresh syrup. We always tried to use ours within a year.
That said, I think the stronger flavor of B is better for cooking. Grade A gets lost!

Joined Apr 19, 2001
I have to say I'm definitely getting to really like the punchy Grade B even on pancakes and French toast - a real flavor POW! I'm afraid the A would taste woosey after that. But then I'm still working off that half-gallon that my generous brother-in-law sent me!

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
These days I'm into raspberries and maple syrup. They are just so good together. I even stuffed raspberries with maple sugar just to snack on.

As for maple syrup, the darker, the better.

G

Regarding the conversation about Grade A vs B maple syrup; it could be viewed like the subtle preferences and uses for light vs dark soy sauce in cookery and consumption, eh?

Joined Feb 1, 2007
Wow! Another blast from the past. Don't know if your realize it, Donna, but this thread is 8 years old.

Anyway, there is no comparison between A & B maple syrup, on one hand, and light vs dark soy sauce on the other. With the soy, "light" is merely a reduction in sodium, and, in theory at least, tastes less salty. With maple syrup, on the other hand, there is a tremendous change between the grades. The color, viscosity, and flavor are radically different; to the point where you could easily believe you were having two different products.

One thing I find amusing is that the celebrity chefs have all suddenly discovered B grade. Years ago, when you couldn't even find it ouside the maple producing areas, they sneered at it as being coarse and "smoky." Sort of lower class. Now it's become the "in" maple product.

Joined Aug 13, 2006
To get back to the original question, maple syrup beyond breakfast?

what about pancakes for supper!  That was my favorite sunday supper as a kid - we had sunday dinner, roast with potatoes, vegetables, etc, but then in the evening my brother and I would make pancakes. 

Joined Jan 27, 2010
I would love trying those recipes. Honestly, I don't know some of the recipes but, I'll try to look for it in supermarkets. Thanks!

Joined Nov 3, 2010
I usually alternate between Grade A and Grade B, it really depends on what kind of mapley flavor you are after.

Did you know about this website: http://www.maplesyrupworld.com/pages/maple-syrup-recipe.html they have about 100 different recipes using maple syrup.

I even found an Andouille Apple pot pies with maple cornbread crust recipe, Andouille, apple and maple syrup, what a great combination!

Last edited:
Joined Aug 6, 2010
My favorite after-breakfast use of maple syrup is a cayenne-maple syrup glaze for pork, chicken or turkey. A little sweet, a little rich, a little spicey. Wonderful combination.

As an aside: my fiance actually prefers light corn syrup on pancakes and waffles. I've only known a few people that preferred it. Anyone else out there feel the same way?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I had a dish in a vietnamese restaurant that tasted like maple syrup. It was a fried tofu dish. Worked pretty well.

Joined Feb 1, 2007
actually prefers light corn syrup on pancakes and waffles.

Is there an actual flavor difference between light and dark corn syrup, as there is with different grades of maple syrup?

Joined Aug 6, 2010
Is there an actual flavor difference between light and dark corn syrup, as there is with different grades of maple syrup?
Light corn syrup has a little sweeter (although still vastly less sweet than maple syrup) and more neutral taste. Dark corn syrup has a stronger flavor since it's made with refiner's syrup and can be a little off-putting when eaten raw. Then again, my great grandmother put blackstrap molasses on her pancakes. I tried it once. Needless to say, I won't be eating it again any time soon.

Joined Apr 3, 2010
There is a vast difference in these syrups when you try different brands.. There is a difference when you buy same brand in retail package and the commercial packs. There is also difference between retail packages Catsup and retail Mayo and commercial packages. With the former in the majority of cases being thicker. Going back to a commercial of yesteryear saying "Savarin The coffee served at the Waldorf Astoria". It in fact was the BRAND served, but retail you could not buy the same BLEND of Savarin..

Top Bottom