Mango Mousse with or without Italian Meringue??

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by bnj2377, Jan 29, 2012.

1. bnj2377

bnj2377

Exp:
    At home cook
    I am making a cake for a friend's daughter this coming weekend. The cake is a simple white butter cake and I'm planning to fill it with alternating layers of a fresh mango filling and a mango mousse. I have two recipes for a mango mousse, one incorporates an Italian meringue and the other does not. What I am trying to understand is 'Does including the Italian meringue increase the stability of the mousse or does it simply have a flavor/texture effect?'.

Alternately, does anyone have a really reliable mango mousse recipe that can hold up in a layer cake and under fondant?

Your help is greatly appreciated, I need to figure this out in the next few days. Thank you!

2. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Bnj,

I sent you a pm yesterday, please check when you have time, thank you.

Petals.

3. sissyathome

sissyathome

Exp:
    Private Chef
    If the mango mousse and filling recipes are shareable, may I have a copy?  Thank you so much.

4. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Sure Sissy,

Recipe I use was found in my research off the net , comes from Australia. It is 5 layers. The other recipes I like to use are by Peggy Porschen , have you ever heard of her ? I have all of her books and I think her work is stunning. One thing about Peggy is that she uses victorian sponge alot which make for light cakes, easy to stack . You are interested in making the mousse, well here is the recipe it was taken from, if you enjoy a layered cake with alot of taste this is the one.

Macadamia flourless mixture
    130g egg whites
    70g caster sugar
    135g egg yolks
    15g raw sugar
    150g macadamia paste
    35g almond meal
    30g macadamia meal
    8g cornflour
    25g melted butter

Macadamia praline creameaux
    160ml milk
    50g macadamia paste
    100g macadamia praline
    50g caster sugar
    25g egg yolks
    10g cornflour
    2g gelatin leaves
    12ml cold water
    100g butter

Mango jelly
    400g mango puree
    100g caster sugar
    8g gelatin sheets
    44ml cold water

Mango mousse
    300g mango puree
    Juice of one lemon
    6g gelatin leaves
    35ml cold water
    180ml cream, whipped into soft peaks
    125g Italian meringue (see below)

Italian meringue
    225g caster sugar
    75ml water
    125g egg whites

For the macadamia flourless mixture, mix all dry ingredients together. Whisk egg yolks and raw sugar until pale, then add the macadamia paste and melted butter. Whisk egg whites and sugar until firm peaks form. Fold through egg yolk mixture, then fold through dry ingredients. Spread 1cm thick on a paper lined baking tray and bake at 180°C until golden.

For the macadamia praline creameaux, mix egg yolks, sugar and cornflour until pale. Soak the gelatine in the cold water. Bring milk to the boil. Add macadamia pastes to the egg yolk mixture. Pour the hot milk over the egg yolk mixture a little at a time. Return to stove and cook to 85°C. Add gelatine, then let cool until 50°C. Add butter. Spread 1cm on a metal tray, and freeze.

For the mango jelly, soak gelatin in water. Heat one-quarter of the mango puree in the microwave with the caster sugar. Add the soaked gelatin, stir well. Return this to the remaining thee quarters of cold mango puree. Set in a steel frame 6mm in height, then freeze.

For the mango mousse, first make the Italian meringue. Put the sugar and water in a saucepan, and heat to 18°C. Set up the electric mixer with the whisk attachment. Put the egg whites in a bowl, set the mixer to medium. Gradually pour the hot sugar mixture down the side of the bowl, keep whisking until a glossy meringue forms.

For the rest of the mango mousse, soak the gelatin in cold water. Take one-quarter of the mango puree, and heat in the microwave for about 90 seconds, or until hot. Add the soaked gelatin, and stir until dissolved. Return this to the cold mango puree, fold the cream and Italian meringue together, then gently fold through the mango puree. Try to avoid losing any air.

Assembly

The bottom layer is half of the macadamia flourless; the next layer is the macadamia creameaux; then there’s another layer of the macadamia flourless; the next layer is mango jelly; and the top layer is mango mousse.