Mandolins

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by nathan kreider, Jan 18, 2013.

1. nathan kreider

nathan kreider

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hey guys, I was considering getting a Mandolin for home use, and I'm kind of torn because I can't choose a brand. What brand would you suggest I go for? I've considered De Buyer, but $225 seems a bit expensive for a mandolin.

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Around here the asian markets have cheap ones for about twenty dollars. They often have interchangeable blades for different size cuts and do an impressive job for the price. Not as long lasting as the heavy professional stainless steel but a lot more economical for the same job. Start there and see if that doesn't do what you wanted. 

3. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Get the cheap one.

More than likely (if you are seriously pursuing this career) you will find yourself using it only a few times before you out grow it.

They do a great job but when cooking at home I generally need such a very small amount of product that I find it faster and easier to use a knife.

(faster as in getting the contraption out - setting it up - using it - then cleaning it - drying it and putting it away)

It is also a good to use a knife to keep the skills up for when you do a stage at a place that doesn't have the gizmo's.

As for the commercial setting - let the restaurant pay for the expensive ones.

4. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I have a Bron stainless steel mandolin that I bought 30 years ago, the thing is bullet proof. It cut 50lbs of potatoes a day.

If it's just for occasional home use, go with one of the cheap ones, or better yet as MichaelGA said, practice your knife cuts if your a student.

5. scubadoo97

scubadoo97

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have a stainless Bron and an inexpensive Benriner Japanese mandoline. Don't use either that often but use the Benrenier way more than the Bron.

I find the main thing I use it for is making carrot threads and things like that. I've done them with a knife and it's good to work on technique but is time consuming. With the mandoline I'm done in a minute or two

6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I have the oxo and it is great.  America's Test Kitchen proclaimed it the best mandolin for home cooks. 

7. thatchairlady

thatchairlady

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Have an inexpensive one... Mouli, I think?  Have had it for YEARS and still remember to keep fingers WAY out of the way and use guard.  Can do 2 different thicknesses of slices, a jullienne cut, and something like a french fry (maybe 1/2 inch).  Sure I didn't pay much more than $20 for it.

Found a Cuisinart (maybe Kitchenaid) mandolin at a thrift store.  Blade didn't seem damaged and did seem sharp.  Didn't have hand-guard, but only $5.  Used it ONCE and redonated to another thrift store.... kinda big, didn't seem as stable.

8. vic cardenas

vic cardenas

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    My buddy at work has a Benriner and it's easily the best one I've ever used. And it's cheap. 

9. nathan kreider

nathan kreider

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    At my work we have a Benriner, I'm not too sure what it gets used for as I've never seen it out of the container, but we have it. Haha. Maybe I should buy it, and it is mainly for my girlfriend as her knife skills aren't great, and I'm constantly working, so it will help out with cooking for our son while I'm working.

10. geronomo

geronomo Banned

Exp:
    At home cook
    I am a home cook and I do not like mandolins. They can cut your fingers off if not careful. I prefer to use my cleaver for finely chopping garlic, ginger, herbs, chopping meat and vegetables. I use a smaller knife for cutting or slicing fruit. I feel more confident and steadier with using kitchen knives that are frequently sharpened for better performance.

11. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Girlfriend with no knife skills and you want to turn her loose with a mandoline?...........She will cut her arm off!

12. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  13. chicagoterry

chicagoterry

Exp:
    Home Cook
  14. nathan kreider

nathan kreider

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'd rather my skill-less girlfriend use a mandolin than my Global knives..

15. geronomo

geronomo Banned

Exp:
    At home cook
    OK its up to you, if u want to cut your fingers off. Lol

16. nathan kreider

nathan kreider

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    A knife can cut your fingers too, you know?

17. geronomo

geronomo Banned

Exp:
    At home cook
    Not if you have good knife skills and if you are a competent cook. I haven't cut myself with a knife for over 15 years.

18. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    For the record:
    • mandolin = a stringed musical instrument
    • mandoline = a food preparation device with a fixed blade in a platform for slicing, often adjustable

19. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    LOL.   That's funny. 

A priest and a rabbi go out for lunch. They order. The priest has a question and asks:

"How come you Jewish guys never eat any ham?   You aught to try it, it's really good stuff."

The rabbi replies: 

"You should know, my good friend, that it's against our religion.  How come you Catholic guys never go out with and enjoy life with women?"

The priest replies back: 

"You too should know, my good friend, that it's against our religion."

To which the rabbi says:

"Well I guess you aught to try them ... women are much more enjoyable than ham."

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  20. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Actually:

• mandolin = English spelling

• mandoline = French spelling

mandolin can be either a music instrument or a kitchen instrument in English

mandoline can be either a music instrument or a kitchen instrument in French