Man it's cold outside!!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by cape chef, Jan 17, 2003.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I know we have discussed this in the past,but seeing we have so many new members I thought we could touch base again.

I know not everyone is living in the freezing cold (here it's supposed to get down to almost 0)

I love cooking comfort food in the winter,especialy braises.

Tonight is a braise of lamb shank with apricots (dried)lemon zest,rosemary and lots of garlic. The kitchen smell terrific and the wine is open.

Tell me,what do you love to cook on those dark cold nights with the fire blazing?

2. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Rabbit braised in Guinness beer along with very simple side dishes and a lemon souffle to balance things out.

BTW, I'll be right over. ;)

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Good old pot roast!

I have a hankering for what my grandmother called "g'dempte chicken"- braised chicken. It included poor man's kishke. As if 'real' kishke weren't simple enough- beef or sheep sausage casing filled with flour, rendered chicken or beef fat, onions and seasonings :eek: . The even simpler version, called helzel, is made with trimmed chicken neck skins instead of casings, sewn up with cotton thread and cooked in with the braising pot. You have to grow up on that kind of thing to appreciate it! I do have an 8 pound roasting chicken in the freezer; I guess I could use that, couldn't I? Wouldn't have the flavor of an old hen, but those are hard to find where I live. Think I'll skip the helzel.... :rolleyes:

4. chef1x

chef1x

:smiles:

{drool}

Oh man!! Lamb shank and apricots! Fireplace!

Rabbit and Guiness!! (gasp!)

Pot Roast, Yum! (I dunno bout the other stuff Mezz!:) )

I must say, I am VERY envious if that's what yer eating.

CC, freezing here, I think they're saying wind chill is below zero, that hasn't happened here in a while.

ANYWAY, I was fortunate enough to have a starter of potato leek soup, then Osso Bucco (By that I just mean a cross cut veal shank, we like roasting big cuts of meat this time of year) over toasted barley, butternut squash, fricasse of porcinis, more leeks...ohhhh. ONLY because it's my birthday month. :)

NORMALLY I would be content with a nice stew and crusty bread.

Drinking cheap aussie and chilean wines right now, and I enjoy a good single malt.

CC, how 'bout you? I'm betting you enjoy a good cognac or something similar?:)

I'm imagining my space heater as a roaring fireplace:)

And I have to say the dishes you mention are among my all time favorites. I love lamb and bunny! Tasty and lean.

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Mezz,

You bring back fond memories:)

Koko, I would invite you over but theres nothing left! Next time. ;)

The lamb was excellent if I may say so myself. Drank a couple bottles of fitou from the Languedoc that worked like a charm.

Chef1x, there was a time I drank brandy and the like,but I lost my desire for them after I discoveried vintage Ports.:lips:

6. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Trahana!

Do you know what is this?

7. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sour dough soup? :)

8. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    :D Just testng if you got rusty...:cool:

9. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Not rusty, wiser!!

And I still love Greek food :chef:

10. chef1x

chef1x

What exactly is sour dough soup? What else is in it? Love all med. food myself.

Hmm, CC, since you like all those wines, I pegged you for a cognac drinker. I love a good port myself, don't drink them as much these days 'cause I'm supposed to lay off the sugary stuff, but I indulge now and then.

A nice port, a roaring fire, a good cigar on a cold winter night?

Did I mention that I scored a whole case of Quinta do Noval '91 port and I have one Quinta '70. I don't know what the heck I'll do with it all; not like I have a wine cellar:)

What's on for tonight?

I'm solo tonight so I thought I'd make a nice consomme with a bruonise of vegs. Haven't done that in years, but I need to practice my frenchy skills ya know, just in case;)

11. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Chef1X:

You really need to send me the '70 Quinto asap. NOW! :chef: :bounce: :chef:

12. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi chef1x sour dough soup, trahana or tarhana, in the dialects of Middle East is a tiny peppled shaped pasta.
    Usually is made with semolina or wheat flour mixed with yoghurt or buttermilk.

In Greece we make two kinds of trahana:
    The sour trahana anad the sweet trahana.

The sour is more popular. It's made with flour kneaded with the rich milk of August. The first 15 days of August are days of fast, so in the country side where they keep they Ortodox calender there is abudance of milk. In August they prepare the best trahana!
    So, after you have kneaded the dough you let it rest in heat so it sours a little, then the dough is broken onto small pieces and dried under the sun.

Sour trahana is cooked as a soup in water or broth or milk.

Trahana is consumed all over the Balkans and as far as Persia!

It was an easy way to preserve food with high nutritional values as wheat and milk.
    Since you live in NYC go to Astoria and ask for some trahana. Greeks are delighted to cook such things:)

Yeah, I know Cape Chef. Once you've tasted Greek Food is difficult to forget it.

13. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Have you made her Kotosoupa Me Trahara?

It seems very nice,it's on page 226 of The Glorious Foods of Greece.

14. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I live in the Tampa area and it was 28 degrees when I woke up this morning! I have a bubbling stew on the stove - large chunks of pork and dark meat chicken with marsala, cremini, pearl onions (and later will add carrots).

We're gearing up for the big game here - 30 minutes to go! It will probably be pretty cold in Philly - but let me tell you, Florida or not - it was cold here today. Nothing warms the soul or the belly like a long-cooked stew.

15. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    :D Funny Cape Chef I have just made some , I took a dish and I came here to have it in the Cafe

No, I usually make the simple variation with water.
    1 cup trahana 5 cups water + milk ( about half cup) some salt there it is.

You know, I am not so fond of the american habit of using broths in making soups.Rarely in Greece we make trahana soup with chicken broth:)

16. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'ts unseasonably warm. It's been that way all fall and winter and no snow in sight. TROUBLE.

So I fired up the smoker today and am doing pork ribs. Haven't decided on sides yet. Good thing it's slow cookin'.

Phil

17. chef1x

chef1x

Phatch, where are you? HAWAII??

28 in Tampa, !? Wow, ok , I feel a little for you Chiff, I had no idea. I was just there in November, loving the heat!

Athenaeus, that sounds really good. My GF lived in Greece for a couple of years, but I don't think she's had that. I like the simplicity of it. Sorry for being lazy and not looking it up myself, but this is served hot? This is like couscous with addition of sour milk?

18. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm in Salt Lake City. We should be having temperatures in the 20s for the high, but we're getting El Nino weather.

Phil

19. chef1x

chef1x

Well, duh, I did see your photos, I should have known.
    Nice snow there.:)
    I have family in Flagstaff, AZ and was in Canyon de Chelly 2 years ago for New Year's. Nice dry cold, lite wind:)
    Mmm smoked pork ribs, tell me more... Believe it or not, I just recently had my first real taste of true BBQ at some joint in Florida. I thought I knew enough about it, having travelled through the south to New Orleans many times. But this was beyond.....made me realize the home cooked bbq is probably always better.
    The Raiders will win.

BTW, Koko, I said I only have ONE bottle of the '70 and can't imagine what occasion I would open it unless Panini made me a wedding cake. I DO have lots of the '91 which is VERY good as well, lookit up, and maybe we could trade goods!:)

20. chef1x

chef1x

KOKO, Oh [email protected]###$$%%^^&&**thpt!!??

Just remembered I was unemployed. How much do you want to buy it for? On eBay?;)