Maligned food.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by peachcreek, Dec 19, 2004.

1. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Why does everybody dispise fruitcake? I can see how you could have a bad one but to lump all fruitcakes into one catergory sounds a little harsh. I mean somebody out there MUST make a decent, if not excellent fruitcake. Maybe for some reason fruitcakes were so bad that even in the days of famine people would still use fruitcakes as doorstops. Then there is lutefisk, which, no matter how skillfully prepared is going to resemble what it is: fish cooked in lye. Rate that up ther with "Ceviche made with battery acid". But then again it was more simple in the old days: eat the lutefisk or starve. And people ate the lutefisk and lived. But for some reason they still weren't hungry enough for the fruitcake for dessert....I don't get it.

2. dilemma

dilemma

I think it is the candied peel and the currants. Leave those out and people would change their minds about fruitcake. Bourbon pecan cake comes to mind. In addition to the bourbon and pecans it contains whole candied red cherries and white raisins. What's not to like?

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    It's the gift that keeps on giving! :D