Making whipping cream?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by t.stu, Apr 23, 2005.

1. t.stu

t.stu

Hi,

I am absolute beginner to cooking :) I would like to inquire whether its possible (easily) to make some whipping cream from which to make whipped cream to be used in hot chocolate. Any suggestions are welcome and thank you.

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The answer is no. You cannot "make" whipping cream unless you own a dairy cow. I normally purchase the 36% fat whipping cream at the store.

3. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

I agree. 3.25% is the natural fat content of milk as it comes from the cow. Any dairy that is higher or lower is so by industrial processe. Not to say a person at home cannot do it (as home dairy farmers making cheese have done so for centuries) it needs to begin with un-processed milk (IE, not homogenised. This will explain homogenization, and the "how" of getting more cream is self apperent. http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/dairy...nization.html).

You can achive 35% fat dairy product by adding butter to milk in the right proportions, however, that works only for a few applications, and not for making whipping cream.

You can also purchase a cappachino milk frother, which is essentially a little motor, 2 batteries, and a spring on a metal shaft (usually under 3 bucks, and I think a buck at dollarama), that will "froth" milk up to look like whipped cream without all the fat and calories.

4. t.stu

t.stu

I guess I can't make it after all. Thanks for replying guys.

5. oenotainer

oenotainer

I understood (maybe misunderstood) her question differently--

You can, of course, just take some heavy cream and whip it--either with an electric mixer or a whisk--just don't forget to add a little sugar!

G

6. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
  7. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Okay, it's just Kuan's puckish sense of humor!!! :p

Yes, you can make your own whipped cream at home. Just don't overwhip it or you'll have butter . :D