Making some dishes upfront, for family gathering...

Joined Mar 18, 2013
Hi to all,
Next weekend I'll have a family gathering, around 15-20 people. Because of the time I need to make all dishes and the size of my kitchen, I was thinking to make some meals a day before. Like vegetable soup, saffron rice, Smoky bourbon baked beans... As a matter of fact, some meals taste even better next day, right? :)
Also, I know some meals I plan to make, they have to be freshly made, like smoked beef brisket, chicken in clay Romertopf pot, smoked salmon, roasted/grilled vegetables, grilled corn on the cob...
What about:
  • Creamy garlic mashed potato
  • Ratatouille or Rainbow Veggie And Pesto Tart
  • Beef stew in clay pot
  • Lentils w/ fresh onion, cilantro, peppers…
  • Mushrooms
  • Sweet potato (baked a whole, in alufolie in the oven)
  • Spaghetti squash
  • Macaroni salad / Greek salad / Turkish style couscous salad / Mediterranean Pearl Couscous Salad
Can I make them a day before too, or they have to be made fresh?

Is there any other dish you would recommend I can make a day before?

Thanks for any help.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
day of:
Creamy garlic mashed potato
Sweet potato (baked a whole, in alufolie in the oven)
Spaghetti squash
Pesto Tart (make Ratatouille a day ahead)

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I agree with cheflayne on what should be done the day of. The only question I have is, how are you preparing your mushrooms?

Joined Sep 17, 2018
I agree with most but I could see doing the mashed ahead as well as any of the cold salads you have listed. Even if you had to do the cold salads and dress the day of.

Joined Mar 21, 2008
Reheated mashed are gross. But you can cook the potatoes off the day before, reheat by adding a little water to the bottom of the pan and steam them then uncover and let water evaporate(just like you would making making them same day) then mash the way you like. I do smashed with a fork with butter and whole milk, fairly thick I like them to stand up to the gravy...

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Reheated mashed are gross. But you can cook the potatoes off the day before, reheat by adding a little water to the bottom of the pan and steam them then uncover and let water evaporate(just like you would making making them same day) then mash the way you like. I do smashed with a fork with butter and whole milk, fairly thick I like them to stand up to the gravy...
In a perfect world I would prefer doing everything the day of but sometimes constraints dictate you find alternatives. I'm not necessarily arguing the merits of freshness of one way or the other, just replying to the OP that this is a item that could in fact be done ahead of time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom