Making marzipan from scratch

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by AutumnSage, Jan 10, 2019.

1. AutumnSage

AutumnSage

Exp:
    Self-taught home baker
    Hello! I am looking to learn how to make marzipan from scratch, primarily for curiosity sake. Complicating the issue is I have no experience with it, either eating or making it. It has piqued my interest though ever since I saw it could be used as a covering for cakes, similar to fondant, and I'd love to learn how to do that. I've done searches here and on Google but it can still be a little confusing, especially when people seem to use almond paste and marzipan terms interchangeably.

Does anyone have a good basic recipe or guide for doing so? The most I can deduce is that it is made from one part finely ground almonds and one part icing/confectioner sugar. I see egg whites are often used but I am not comfortable with that, even though I know it should technically be safe. Is corn syrup an acceptable alternative or is that generally frowned upon? I've seen some recipes use that but I wasn't sure if it was considered as good. I'm unsure on the measurement as well, although I assume it is simply enough to just bring everything together into one ball? Or does it come down to any liquid will do depending on flavor preference and I'm overthinking this?

As a followup question, would almond meal/flour be reasonable to use as it is finely ground almonds, or is there no substitute for freshly ground? I am happy to try the latter, but if the result is mostly the same then I'd probably opt for the almond flour simply because it is on hand already.

If anyone can help point me in the right direction I would be so appreciative. I'm primarily a self-taught bread baker, but I'm really wanting to expand and learn new things. I tried to research this as best I could, but there really is a bit of conflicting information out there that makes me unsure if I'm on the right path, especially since I am so unfamiliar with it.

Thanks! :)

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    AutumnSage likes this.
  3. AutumnSage

AutumnSage

Exp:
    Self-taught home baker
    Thank you for the welcome! The link you posted is fantastic and I want to say thank you. I'm certainly more happy to go the egg white route knowing it is cooked. I swear I have seen quite a few recipes simply mix everything together and call it a day. While that probably works for most, I'm still at that phase of being nervous using raw eggs and rather leave that to more skilled and knowledgeable individuals.

I'm excited to give the above recipe a go this weekend. Hopefully I'll learn to make something really neat for friends and family in the future. Thank you again!