making homemade sausage

Joined Mar 3, 2002
I have made homemade sausage for years.I am running into a problem when using a sausage stuffer.I have made "bulk" sausage,and when I made sausage in the casings it was years ago with a butcher that I worked for.My problem is this:
when rinsing the casings(thoroughly under water as well as the inside of the casings) and proceding to prepare the sausage,when finished I get a slight distasteful odor,and taste.
Keep in mind the casings are washed very well!!
Is there a procedure? Do I use vinegar water?Can someone please help me? Thank you.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
There are a few books you can check to find answers.

Bruce Aidells's Complete Sausage Book : Recipes from America's Premium Sausage Maker

Sausage by A. D. Livingston

Making Great Sausage : 30 Savory Links from Around the World Plus Dozens of Delicious Sausage Dishes by Chris Kobler, Evan Bracken

Home Sausage Making by Charles G. Reavis

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
How old are your casings? How have they been stored? Though casings can last for quite some time packed in salt, I have found that they sometimes take on an "off" odor long before they go bad. I have also had a few casings, fresh, that smelled and tasted off. I wonder if it doesn't have to do with the butchering, sometimes. Maybe someone has allowed them to sit too long before being cleaned. Just some thoughts, as I am definately not an expert in the area.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Go visit the website ALLIEDKENCO.COM; it's a butchering and sausage making website and company. They sell lots of supplies and can probably answer your question.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Are these fresh or salted casings? I think, depending on where you get them, the fresh ones are a little less consistent than the salted ones. Do yours still smell like chitlins? I have a few packages of salted ones in the fridge at home, I should go check and see. I didn't know they could go bad with that salt and all.

Kuan

Joined Aug 4, 2000
I just remembered another company: THE SAUSAGE MAKER. They might be helpful with your problem.

Joined May 18, 2001
I use salted casings which I soak in cold water. I than rinse them all the way through a couple of times with cold water. If you click here and scroll half way down the page, there's some pictures of my technique. I'm buying my casings from a local butcher supply so I know they are fresh, but they last a very long time covered with salt in a sealed bag.

Joined Mar 12, 2001
What type of casings do you use? Are they beef, sheep or pig?
I have found that sheep and beef can have a really strong flavour that may be OK for a spicy salami, but ruin a fresh sausage.
I get mine from a local butcher who makes lots of sausages, and the first few times they were lovely, but the last casings I got were tough, skinny and tasted like ****. It was a pity that I had made delicate chicken sausages with them.
So, although i have no scientific evidence, I think pig casings are the way to go.

Joined May 18, 2001
Pollyg:

Did you complain to the butcher? In my experience, lamb casings don't have any significant odor or taste. I use 20-22 mm sheep casings and 32-35 mm hog casings.

Joined Mar 3, 2002
Thanks to everyone for the advice! I use hog casings,and according to one of the websights that was suggested,rinsing the casings in warm water,thaen cool water with baking soda did the trick!

Joined Jul 24, 2001
I just read that and i didn't know the scotish shower sollution.
I do something simpler and I do it in any case...
I just pass the cassings threw a piece of lemon. It removes any unpleasant smell from the cassings and your hands

I think that the smell of cassings depend on the food the animals eat and the conditions they are kept.
Since here we have butchers, I used to go to one that his providers kept the animals into bad enviroment, I mean that the animals didn't have the chance to move.
I was told that this plays a vital role whether the meat will have this heavy smell or not.

Top Bottom