Making crispy cookies

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by thebeloved, Mar 4, 2018.

1. thebeloved

thebeloved

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Any recipe I have tried produces semi-soft cookies that are more like cakes.

So how to make very crisp crispy cookies like those one can buy from the store?

Looking at the product label, one can see they usually contain no moisturizing ingredient at all, just fat.

So I thought one way of producing such a cookie, without an "artificial" emulsifier like lecithin, is to first make mayonnaise from a mellow oil or even ghee, if its possible, then use that and it should mix well enough with the flour, producing a smooth texture with a minimum amount of liquid (vinegar) used.

Thats just an idea, the question is, how to reproduce a commercial cookie.

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    A trick I have used is to search for recipes that contain baking soda instead of baking powder or both. I have found that b. powder or b. powder AND b soda together results in chewy cookies, whereas recipes with b soda ONLY creates a crispy cookie.

dectra and drirene like this.
  3. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Less liquid + white sugar = crispy cookies.

More liquid + white sugar = cakey cookies.

drirene likes this.
  4. thebeloved

thebeloved

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Safe, I will keep that in mind and use only baking soda in my own recipes when I can.

Thanks, good reply. I guess on a basic level it is very simple, so the basic direction is clear. And I think Stevia can sweeten them without needing much extra sugar.

What about dextrose though? Do you think it makes them notably softer, perhaps moreso than white sugar?

Is there any other way to make cookies crispy?

5. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Stevia doesn't affect the texture of cookies.

If I remember correctly, I think dextrose will make the cookies soft. Can't say I'm 100% sure on this though. I don't deal with sugar substitutes often.

There are several other ways to produce crispy cookies.

- You can use harder flours (all-purpose or bread as opposed to cake or pastry).

- You can use more fat.

- You can take out the eggs and use less liquid.

- You can shape them thin and bake them longer.

peachcreek likes this.