making crisps

Joined Nov 27, 2012
I started a thread not so long ago about pork scratching
[/URL]

Basically they are pork rind and fat fried off. The nearest cut of pork I could find for them is something like this
[/URL]
but with out the meat

Do you serve the poached egg runny or hard?
sounds like you want skin cracklings. a quick google search will get you a recipe. with or without meat you'll find some good recipes out there.

Joined Nov 27, 2012
I'm sure I would! But I am not running a commersial kitchen at the moment (due to the plandemic curfew) so just experementing on small batches at the moment and I live in an area of town that is predominantly muslim, so no pork sold at the butchers!
don't buy pork belly, you need only skin if what you want is pork scratchings. Go find one in another area if yours doesn't have them.

Joined Jul 7, 2020
sounds like you want skin cracklings. a quick google search will get you a recipe. with or without meat you'll find some good recipes out there.
No! people outside of the UK do not know what pork scraching are. Its the skin with a load of fat on. The taster ones have about 3 times as much fat to skin on them and are made in Dudley

Joined Jul 7, 2020
don't buy pork belly, you need only skin if what you want is pork scratchings. Go find one in another area if yours doesn't have them.
I was going to have a go making chicharron and putting it on those shreded crisps with a pouched egg we talked about before

BTW I left some rather thick potato sliced in the oven with out any oil and they have cooked off and when they went cold they where not soggy!

Joined Nov 27, 2012
No! people outside of the UK do not know what pork scraching are. Its the skin with a load of fat on. The taster ones have about 3 times as much fat to skin on them and are made in Dudley
please send pictures then.

Joined Jan 9, 2019
Tried doing the UK crisps (AKA: American "Potato Chips") here.
Regular russets didn't seem to work.
Grew some hard to find Kennebec potatoes & they work really well for deep fried thin crisps/chips.
Slice thinly, soak in cold water, dry as best as possible..heat oil (I'd LOVE to try beef fat..someday) to 350-370F & place potatoes in a basket & lower into the hot oil..be ready to lift out as they can easily boil over.
Cook to your desired colour.
Toss in a paper towel lined basket & salt while hot
They don't work so well for "French fries"..even aged..maybe it's the variety/my cold storage?
G'Luck!

Joined Jul 7, 2020
Tried doing the UK crisps (AKA: American "Potato Chips") here.
Regular russets didn't seem to work.
Grew some hard to find Kennebec potatoes & they work really well for deep fried thin crisps/chips.
Slice thinly, soak in cold water, dry as best as possible..heat oil (I'd LOVE to try beef fat..someday) to 350-370F & place potatoes in a basket & lower into the hot oil..be ready to lift out as they can easily boil over.
Cook to your desired colour.
Toss in a paper towel lined basket & salt while hot
They don't work so well for "French fries"..even aged..maybe it's the variety/my cold storage?
G'Luck!
So you recon its the type of potato that dose it then?

Latest posts

Top Bottom