making crisps

Joined Jul 7, 2020
I have had a couple of goes at this and the resaults are now the same
I thinly slice the potatos and deep fry them, when they are ever so slightly crisp I remove from fryer. If I eat them hot they are crispy, but as soon as they cool down they become soft and soggy, not like a crisp out of a packet

Is it cooking methods or ingredents that I'm missing hear? I know mc donalds french fries are part cooked off then additive (such as the chemical they add to natural gas) are used to keep them hard and not soft. Then they are delivered to the md restaurant where they are part cooked in the deep fryer before served to the customer

Joined Sep 5, 2008
How do you cool them down? You need air to ventilate all that moisture coming out of the crisps or they'll become soggy. Try cooling them down on a wire rack?

Joined Jul 7, 2020
No I did not know that was how it was done! Do you think putting a wire rack in a low heat oven would dry them out?

Joined Sep 5, 2008
No I did not know that was how it was done! Do you think putting a wire rack in a low heat oven would dry them out?
Yes but I don't think you need the low heat oven (which may even dry them out to much and make them tough). I would try just the wire rack in a normal room, unless the air in your room is really moist.

Joined Nov 27, 2012
well I would say that you are either not frying them enough or the potato is just not cut for the task.

Joined Nov 27, 2012
I am located on china(Beijing) where all the potatoes are utter shite and any kind of consistency is an accident from my vegetable vendors. However we still do a kind of crispy fried string potatoes out of the local potato.

Joined Nov 27, 2012
basically we shred(we don't even do them that thin) them and then place that into some boiling water. When the water starts to boil again drain the potato while making sure to remove all the water(the potato should not be too tender just beginning to cook). After that fry in 190C oil until golden and crisp. Cool them down and add salt(all the salt in my case) the potato stays crisp for days on end as long as it is in an airtight container. great for almost everything, can't stress how good they are with poached eggs and ham.

Nothing to it and no matter what kind of shitty potato we end up getting it always works. Maybe do thin slices of potato and give em the treatment, see what happens. Might make a great crisp if they can hold their shape.

Joined Jul 7, 2020
I
basically we shred(we don't even do them that thin) them and then place that into some boiling water. When the water starts to boil again drain the potato while making sure to remove all the water(the potato should not be too tender just beginning to cook). After that fry in 190C oil until golden and crisp. Cool them down and add salt(all the salt in my case) the potato stays crisp for days on end as long as it is in an airtight container.
I shreded the potatos with the cheese grater and boiled them off then fried them like you said and let them cool down. I also did the same with this method but using the potato sliced crisps.

While the crisps went soggy when cold the stringed crisps did not! I can only conclude that the thinness of the string crisps is what has made them crisp and not soggy. Hence I dont see the point to boiling them first! why do you part boil them first?

Joined Nov 27, 2012
I

I shreded the potatos with the cheese grater and boiled them off then fried them like you said and let them cool down. I also did the same with this method but using the potato sliced crisps.

While the crisps went soggy when cold the stringed crisps did not! I can only conclude that the thinness of the string crisps is what has made them crisp and not soggy. Hence I dont see the point to boiling them first! why do you part boil them first?
boiling them helps them get crisp faster while in the oil, that will in turn get you lighter color. Because the potato is super sweet here it also helps in getting rid of the excess sugar that would turn them dark while frying. The boiling also helps them stay crisp longer.

Joined Nov 27, 2012
I completely agree on the thinness being factor here. Slice the potato thinner.
However I have gotten away with very crisp and not at all thin potato matchsticks.

Joined Nov 27, 2012
boiling them helps them get crisp faster while in the oil, that will in turn get you lighter color. Because the potato is super sweet here it also helps in getting rid of the excess sugar that would turn them dark while frying. The boiling also helps them stay crisp longer.
don't go to fancy on the ham, the humblest of French hams, mortadella, cheap parma/serrano or whatever you have around that has a strong taste and can be fried in whatever aromatics you can get. Don't get too complicated or fancy. Also piling them sky high on nice steak is just wonderful.

I just realized the the ham was link for that pork. No idea how it happened, computer brain fart most likely.

Joined Jul 7, 2020
don't go to fancy on the ham, the humblest of French hams, mortadella, cheap parma/serrano or whatever you have around that has a strong taste and can be fried in whatever aromatics you can get.
I started a thread not so long ago about pork scratching

Basically they are pork rind and fat fried off. The nearest cut of pork I could find for them is something like this
but with out the meat

Do you serve the poached egg runny or hard?

Joined Jul 7, 2020
You’d do a lot better shopping at a butcher shop than Asada. Just sayin.
I'm sure I would! But I am not running a commersial kitchen at the moment (due to the plandemic curfew) so just experementing on small batches at the moment and I live in an area of town that is predominantly muslim, so no pork sold at the butchers!

Joined Dec 18, 2010
I'm sure I would! But I am not running a commersial kitchen at the moment (due to the plandemic curfew) so just experementing on small batches at the moment and I live in an area of town that is predominantly muslim, so no pork sold at the butchers!
Even Morrison’s is likely to be better than Asda. But no butcher who can supply pork???? You live in a very different England than I ever knew. You might as well pack it in. Between that and all of your other limitations... this is nothing more than an exercise in frustration. Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom