Making Cochinita Pibil at home?

Joined Oct 17, 2008
I am making Cochinita pibil at home, and I am basically using Robert Rodriguez's basic recipe  and cooking a pork shoulder in the oven wrapped in banana leaves, but I also want to add some smoke flavor and some texture. What would the best way to achieve this be? I am not opposed to liquid smoke, but I would rather do something else. Perhaps sear the meat for a few minutes on a charcoal grill with a couple wood chunks on top of the coals? I've also heard that you can brown/caramelize the banana leaves a little before wrapping the pork. Thoughts? Experiences? Other general tips with this dish?

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
What do you mean by texture? The meat should be very tender and juicy. I didh't watch the recipe link so I don't know that the recipe needs tweaking to achieve the proper results.

Joined Nov 6, 2004
    Hi Mingus,

I didn't watch the video, but I did look up the recipe.  Personally, I wouldn't add liquid smoke...but that's me.  The banana leaves offer a real nice flavor that's just different enough to satisfy your taste buds.  If you want some smoke flavor I would either do, as you suggest and brown the outside on a grill with some wood chunks, or you could add your favorite variety of smoked pepper (chipotle or...).

but standing as is...it won't be short on flavor.

dan

Top Bottom