Making Apple Cider

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefross, Oct 29, 2010.

1. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yes...it's that time of year again.  I just got back inside from pressing 5 gallons of apple cider, and thought it would make a great blog for a thread here.

This is my 12th year making cider. I usually purchase some sweeter juicier apples to go with what we grow here on the farm, but this year we had a bumper crop and apples were both sweet and juicy. I have Northern Spies, Sweet Sixteens, Macintosh, and Beaumont apples this year.

We bought the press from a catalog some years back, and I want to say it was Vermont Country Store or something like that. We've had to replace some of the parts as they've worn and we even made our own. (the plunger was re-made with a harder wood and made wider to press more juice.)

We filter out sand and grit then pour it into washed out milk jugs to freeze.  Enjoy the pictures....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. lyniebeck

lyniebeck

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My in-laws had a small apple orchard.  I remember many a fall weekend picking apples, making cider, and ending up covered in sticky apple bits.  But wonderful cider.  The cider press looked very much like yours, Chefross.  Thanks for the pics!!

3. missyjean

missyjean

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Wow! That is an amazing set-up you have. I bet it tastes nothing like the "stuff" you get in stores.  Do you sell the cider?  Do you make boiled cider too?

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've always wanted to try my hand at cider making but haven't taken the plunge yet.  Love the set up!

5. homemadecook

homemadecook

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Nice set up Chefross, I wish I could do some apple cider someday. I haven't tried it making even an ounce of it. 

If ever you will make again one, can I be your assistant? lol /img/vbsmilies/smilies//smile.gif