Makin Bacon

Joined Feb 17, 2010
15lb Pork Belly smoked over hickory. Brown sugar, black pepper, kosher salt & curing salt.

Rubbed down and ready to sit for five days.                                

Four hrs in the smoker @ 175 and overnight rest in the fridge.                         

Result: Outstanding!

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
Lookin' great! I'll be doing a hunk of garlic and probably a Szechwan inspired slab.

mjb.

Joined Feb 17, 2010
Any special muscle from the shoulder that you use? or is is smoke what you got?  I know where that muscle is in the shoulder and it would be my choice for bacon due to it's fat content.

Joined Dec 23, 2004
Very nice!  I'm glad to see you're giving your new smoker a workout.  I think I'm going to take mine to my new restaurant and do some stuff for features.

Joined Mar 21, 2008
I use an entire boned shoulder that I butterflied out a bit to flatten it.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Sponsor
Joined Oct 5, 2001
@chefbuba  nice work is this your first time making bacon? First time I made it I was so intimidated about it most a fear of bacteria. You smoke at a much lower temp than I do but I notice with mine some of the bacon gets over cooked so I think I will lower my temp. Here are some photos of mine last batch:

You can see all the photos here step by step: http://www.cheftalk.com/g/a/141/bacon-i-made/

Joined Feb 17, 2010
@Nicko I have made it a couple of times before, but more like smoked belly, no cure. First time I cured it was a disaster, way too salty to eat as bacon so I chunked it up and threw it in the freezer. It was great to use in a pot of beans. I also could only smoke it on my wood burner which was difficult to keep below 250.

I smoked it to an internal temp of 150.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Sponsor
Joined Oct 5, 2001
@chefbuba  I am sure you already know this but if I over cure the bacon I do what you did cube it and freeze it and it is perfect salted pork. Excellent for soups actually.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Sponsor
Joined Oct 5, 2001
@chefbuba  you can also soak your bacon in water before (or after you smoke it) to remove some of the salt.

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I often cold smoke my bacon especially belly pork. I do like to hot smoke the loin I think you call it Canadian bacon and even rub maple syrup over it. I am experimenting with some fruit tree wood for smoking, I have just trimmed some Fijoa trees so I am looking forward to giving that a go it supposed to be quite a gentle smoke. I have to admit Buba yours makes my mouth water as Homer Simpson says mmm bacon.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Nothing gets a discussion started like bacon.  :) You guys are getting me thinking, and it's dangerous when I start thinking.

Joined Feb 17, 2010
@kuan Time to take a trip to the Asian market and grab some belly, dust off that smoker one last time before the Minnesota winter turns everything into a Frozen Tundra.

Top Bottom