Make ahead caramel corn sauce

Joined Dec 22, 2017
Hello! I have a small baking business and am trying to stream line processes. One of my items is a (really good!) caramel corn, which is pretty time consuming if I do it all at once. I measure and combine my dry ingredients days ahead of time, so that helps, and popcorn can be popped and kept airtight a few days in advance-- but has anyone ever made the caramel sauce ahead of time? I had the thought that I could make it up to the point where it is taken off the heat to add baking soda and flavoring, cool and store it and then on baking day I could reheat and finish off with the baking soda/flavorings. Does that sound totally undoable? I would appreciate any advice on streamlining the caramel corn making-- so far I am a one-person shop and it will stay that way for awhile. Thanks so much in advance!

chefpeon

Kitchen Dork
Joined Jun 15, 2006
You're really not saving much time by making the "sauce" in advance and reheating it to be honest. It doesn't take that long for the sauce to come up to temp when you cook it initially, so if you cooked it off, let it cool and reheated it, you'd be saving, what, 5 minutes? Besides, I'm not even entirely sure cooking the sauce, then reheating it and then adding the soda would even work. (But I'm not 100% sure of that since I haven't tried it).

You would probably save a significant amount of time if you made as big a batch as you realistically can so that you don't have to make it as often. Caramel corn has a pretty good shelf life if made and stored properly.

Joined Dec 22, 2017
I'm not sure about the sauce working by reheating either-- my thought was to have a big batch ready always and then I could use it as needed. I guess the only way to find out is to try it. And I may be getting too carried away trying to be efficient -- its just that "caramel corn days" can be so looonnnng and hot! You may be right-- best bet may be to just make/store it ahead. Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom