major problems with making chocolates

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by isaac, Apr 26, 2002.

1. isaac

isaac

well... i used my tempering machine today. he he he ... it didnt make since at first... like why the bowl was split in two halfs... it made since as i thought about it.

i made a filling becasue i wanted to make filled chocolates. i took some ganache that i had left over, added some cherry puree and let it cool.

then i took the chocolate and poured it over the molds and took the excess off with my off set spatula. then i inverted the molds unto a rack to drain the excess chocolate off... there was the start of a problem. the company sent me 2 pounds of chocolate to use. i think it was somewhat low in cocoa butter becasue it was a little thick. then on a nother batch of molds, i filed the molds, took of the excess and tapped the chocolate out of the molds... it seemed to work better but still not as effective as i thought it would be.

i didnt give up hope... i cooled the molds in the refer (not sure that was the best idea) and then piped some filling into the molds. i think i piped to much filling in to the molds. i took my off set spatula and leveled it. then i took some chocolate and spread it to close the mold however the chocolate mixed into the filling (for some reason) and it seized the chocolate... causing the chocolate not to set... which made it impossable to unmold.

so my question...

1- should i refriderate the mold after i have poured the chocolate into the molds and drained them?

2- what is the proper way to drain molds?

3- i purchased a mold that is 1 inch by 1 inch by 1/2 inch and holds .2 oz and i bought another mold that is 1 3/8 by 1 1/4 inch by 3/8 inch and also holds .2 oz each. my question... is that big enough pipe filling in it?

4- is there a right technique to unmold the chocolate molds?

thanks a lot,

sincerely, isaac

2. danno

danno

Isacc, First get some good chocolate (cocoa noel) 72% great for molding. when you get the choc tempered, pour choc into your mold cavaties and tap the sides of the mold with a your spatula to get out the air bubbles. then invert the mold and tap the mold again to get out as much choc as posible. the thinner the shell the better. with a putty knife scrape the surface of the mold to get off all the excess. let molds set up. when piping your filling you may want it to be a little fluid so that it will settle level below the surface of the mold. this may require warming the filling, but be sure not to get it too warm to melt your shells. after filling the shells you will nedd to let it molds set a while just long enough so that a little crust forms on top of the filling. you may have been a little anxious since you just got your new machine and didnt practice a little patience. I usually let may filled shells set over night. when ready to cap the shells pour some tempered choc over the filling and tap side of mold once again to ensure the there are no air pockets. use putty knife to again scrape the surface. good luck

Danno

3. isaac

isaac

danno,

thank you very much. the chocolate that they sent me happened to be petters. the chocolate that i bought (20 pounds) is guittard... i hope that it will work good. i havent used it yet.

i havent found a place werte i can buy cocoa noul at a dessent price. when i do find a good price.... they want me to order at least 100 pounds min. order. way to much for me at his time.

your probobly right... i was a little impatient. i think its the cook in me. lol. you should have seen my kitchen when i was done with it all... it was a mess!

thanks again.

4. isaac

isaac

another question..... can i buy cocoa butter and add it to the melted chocolate if, when in temper, it is to thick (lack of cocoa butter)??

5. danno

danno

Call 1800pastry1 to find a local distributor. they should carry Cacao noel and other quality couvertures. you can add melted coco butter to your choc. but try adding it before tempering and add it a little at a time so that is doesnt get too thin.
    good luck
    Danno

6. isaac

isaac

danno

i called that number. they wont sell any to me since i am not a buinsess. i called the distrabuter that they refered me to but they wont sell it to me either. ahhhhhh...

7. isaac

isaac

the two kinds of chocolate that i bought.. one is 32-34% cocoa butter and the other is 35-37% cocoa butter... is that ok for molding?

8. danno

danno

Isaac Im sure if you got o there warehouse with some cash they wont have a problem with it, or that would just be bad buisness on their part. If they still want to be idiots try this web site
    www.qzina.com. try to stay between 60 and 72 % for molding and remember if you have a sweet filling stay away from a sweet choc for molding.

9. isaac

isaac

danno,

thanks for the web site. i did find callabut.. 70% cocoa butter but no cocoa noel.

thanks

10. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Yes, you can add cocoa butter to the chocolate while it is tempering. I have a chocolate chemistry book, I suggest you get one as well and start reading why these things are happening to your chocolate.
    Never fill the molds all the way with the filling so you have room for the chocolate bottom.
    you can freeze the mold for a few min to help it set up, but too long and the chocolate is shot, so stick to taking your time until you have enough practice.
    find a chocolate maker and trail or stage for a while (work for free to gain education).

Read the manual several more times so you know your machine cold.

Did you test the Tempered chocolate before placing it in your molds? Always test until you can tell by feel (like when you're 90!) ;)

to test the chocolate once the machine tells you the chocolate is in temper, take a metal spatula and dip in the chocolate, wipe off one side and let the knife set out for 10 min. If the chocolate sets up without flaw, you are good to go. If the chocolate is spotty, splochy, has stripes or does not set up, try again.

Do not waste your time using bad chocolate.

Happy Trails.

11. isaac

isaac

i found cocoa butter for about 1.99 a pound. ok price?

m brown: what was that chocolate book you were talking about called?

i would love to trail...

thanks again for the help... i think it is just becasue i am impatient. lol

when i test the chocolate, i do dip but i swear.. 1 minute to me is like an hour. need to change my thinking! lol

12. isa

isa

Why don't you start with something simpler Isaac, just try to temper and mould the chocolate for your first try. :)

13. isaac

isaac

isa,

yeah... i was thinking that too. i do like a challange though! he he

lol