Chef Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
I think Ramsay's issue had a lot to do with the ethics involved. "Maine" lobsters somewhat carry a "name" brand of expected quality. Canadian lobsters may very well be the same lobsters but don't have the same price-point as Maine lobsters.

The food sources are different in the Maine waters than in Canadian waters...and I wouldn't think that needs explanation.
So the Canadian lobster that comes out of the Bay of Fundy, it's food sources are way different than the food sources of the Maine lobster that come out of the Bay of Fundy? Do I have that right?

You missed the point of my post- that they are the same lobster species just at a different time of season.

Canadian waters are not limited to the Bay of Fundy @cheflayne Obvsiously human borders mean nothing to them. I'm talking east coast of nova scotia and even further north the waters will be colder. The geographic distribution of lobsters:

Lobsters where I am in MA molt around May. Further up north they molt in June? July? Straight from canada lobster lobby :

"Hard shelled versus soft shelled. Since the Atlantic Lobster must moult (shed its shell) in order to grow, it will display a thinner softer shell after it has molted. In Canada, the lobster season is staggered around the summer moulting period and most Canadian Atlantic Lobster are harvested hard-shelled."

In the US lobster season we don't care we harvest soft shelled just molted ones and sell them for less.

You missed one of the points of my reply. Calling something Canadian is not very defining. Fairly generic. Canada is a large country.

"AMERICAN LOBSTER

Homarus americanus

Sometime is

known as

Canadian Lobster, Maine Lobster, Atlantic Lobster"

from The Safina Center

additional trivia, as far back as 1896 and up to 1966 (guesstimates on years don't  remember for sure), the American lobster has been introduced eleven different times to the Pacific coast of Canada

additional trivia, as far back as 1896 and up to 1966 (guesstimates on years don't remember for sure), the American lobster has been introduced eleven different times to the Pacific coast of Canada
[/quote]

I seldom ask for an explaination when I can let my fingers do the walking but am tired and sunburned and just wanted a quick answer.
Introduced eleven times because they are not catching on?
Are they just not making zee whoopie or going belly up due to some sort of culture shock?

mimi

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.