Made my turkey roll waaay to salty... :(

Joined Mar 18, 2013
Hi,
I was making my first ever turkey roll. "Everything" is ok, I like it - except it's way to salty. To do point you can't eat. And, as a person with huge salt/health issue, I just can't eat it.

20200303_180432_1024x761.jpg

Before I give to somebody who eats very salty meals, or throw it away, I wonder if it's way to save it?

Thanks for any help,
Afan

Joined Jul 13, 2012
You could treat it like a corned beef maybe and soak in multiple changes of fresh water then air dry and start over.

Joined Mar 18, 2013
You could treat it like a corned beef maybe and soak in multiple changes of fresh water then air dry and start over.
Mike,
The rolls are already cooked, can't soak/wash them. Most of the salt is in the inside part of the roll.
:emoji_cry:

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Turkey soup may work getting some of the salt out. Just don't add any salt to the soup and use a low sodium stock or broth. Hot turkey sandwiches with a low sodium gravy and also letting the sliced turkey cook in the gravy.

Joined Mar 18, 2013
Turkey soup may work getting some of the salt out. Just don't add any salt to the soup and use a low sodium stock or broth. Hot turkey sandwiches with a low sodium gravy and also letting the sliced turkey cook in the gravy.
Hm... I thought there is a chance I can keep it as a roll, but, obviously, that's not gonna happen...

A soup is really good idea...

Thank you chefbillyb.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Another thought I researched is to grind it, dry it and use it as a soup base, or like a bacon bit. It ought to last long term if vac packed. It will lose a lot of weight after drying as well. Think of it as "turkey hondashi" :lol: To be honest most people would bail, but I hate wasting food so see my thread below about salvaging.

Joined Oct 1, 2006
Hi afan,

You can save it all, in thick slices, and serve as slices. Your Turkey roll becomes the sole source of salt for any number of dishes provided you follow the rules!

You must cover slices in water, use slow cooking and add other ingredients.
-Water and other ingredients will absorb the excess salt given enough time.
-Slow cooking provides the time for this to happen.

One example-
Lay slices in bottom of 9x13, cover with mirepoix and potatoes in stew size pieces add water to cover 3/4 of veg, cover with aluminum foil, bake for an hour at 350. put veg in bottom of soup plate, lay turk slices on top, add broth, garnish with fresh herbs. crusty bread on side, pair with a wine, etc.

If you want a thicker broth, dust slices in flour and brown them for the first step.

If you stuffed the turkey with an Italian twist, use "no salt" tomato products for the braise. Serve slices on pasta...

Reinforce the flavors of whatever you have tucked inside. If you are interested in more ideas from the group, share what's inside and outside, flavor wise!

Yes, you can only make soups or stews out of it, but allowing time for the salt to equalize works!

You can freeze remaining slices individually, pull as needed.

Good luck and don't throw it away!

Joined Mar 18, 2013
Another thought I researched is to grind it, dry it and use it as a soup base, or like a bacon bit. It ought to last long term if vac packed. It will lose a lot of weight after drying as well. Think of it as "turkey hondashi" :lol: To be honest most people would bail, but I hate wasting food so see my thread below about salvaging.
Interesting idea, but I would rather grind it with my teeth :lol:

Joined Mar 18, 2013
Hi afan,

You can save it all, in thick slices, and serve as slices. Your Turkey roll becomes the sole source of salt for any number of dishes provided you follow the rules!

You must cover slices in water, use slow cooking and add other ingredients.
-Water and other ingredients will absorb the excess salt given enough time.
-Slow cooking provides the time for this to happen.

One example-
Lay slices in bottom of 9x13, cover with mirepoix and potatoes in stew size pieces add water to cover 3/4 of veg, cover with aluminum foil, bake for an hour at 350. put veg in bottom of soup plate, lay turk slices on top, add broth, garnish with fresh herbs. crusty bread on side, pair with a wine, etc.

If you want a thicker broth, dust slices in flour and brown them for the first step.

If you stuffed the turkey with an Italian twist, use "no salt" tomato products for the braise. Serve slices on pasta...

Reinforce the flavors of whatever you have tucked inside. If you are interested in more ideas from the group, share what's inside and outside, flavor wise!

Yes, you can only make soups or stews out of it, but allowing time for the salt to equalize works!

You can freeze remaining slices individually, pull as needed.

Good luck and don't throw it away!
This is good idea too. I like it.

Since this is first time I'm making a roll, it actually has only spices (salt, pepper, smoked paprika, chili flakes, minced garlic, salt, salt, pinch of oregano, salt...) and couple leaves of spinach. Pretty simple.

Joined Mar 18, 2013
I forgot to let you know what I did with the turkey roulades. Totally unplanned. Couple friends of mine and I were sitting at my house, having beer, talking about everything... After 3rd-4th-5th beer I mentioned about my mistake with the turkey roll and what I plan to do... They wanted to "approve" my next move so wanted to taste it.
God, they approved... Actually they proved that a drunk man can eat everything... :lol:
So, the roll/roulades finished unplanned, but I'm very happy they liked it.

Hm... I forgot to ask them next morning did they drink any extra water? You know, beer and salty meat... :lol:

Top Bottom