Chef Forum banner

Made Gyros from scratch, First Time Effort

967 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  teamfat 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My son harvested an antelope last Saturday, at6 a.m. He had it home in an hour. We spent the day butchering, grinding, and vacuum sealing the meat, except the bacstraps and tenderloin. I thought the meat would be great for gyros. It was. The antelope was ground at 2 parts antelope, 1 part bacon. for the gyro meat, the recipe was:

• ½Onion, cut into 4 pieces
  • 2 lbs. ground antelope
  • 1 tbs. Garlic, minced
  • 1 tbs. Dried oregano
  • 1 tbs. Ground cumin
  • 1 tbs. Garlic powder
  • 2 tsp. Ground dried thyme
  • 1 tbs. black peppercorns
  • 1 tsp. Salt
  • 2 tbs. Olive oil
Make sure the meat is ice cold. Combine all ingedients util evenly distributed. Run meat mixture through the smallest plate of your meat grinder. Work the result into a thick paste. Butter theinside of a laof pan. Put the meat into the pan. Bake at 300' F. for 50 minutes. Remve from the oven.

At this point, I covered the outside of a 2nd loaf pan with foil, placed it on top of my cooked loaf, and placed a cast iro dutch oven on top to weight it dow.

Pita pockets:
3 cups AP flor
1.5 tsp. salt
2 tbs. SAF Red yeast.
2 tbs olive oil
1.25 cups water.

Mix into smooth dough, kneading for 7 minutes. Cover and let rise to double volume. Remove from bowl, punch it down. and form into an smooth dome. Cut into 8 equal portions. Roll out each portion into a thin disk, about 8 inches around. Pre-heat oven to 450' F. with the baking pan in the oven. When hot, take two pita disks and place onto hot baking sheet. Place into the oven and bake for 4 minutes. Remove and stack on round plate. Cover to prevent them from drying out. Repeat until all pita rounds are baked. Make Tzatziki Sauce and lightly fry slices of gyro meat. Serve and let everyone make their own gyros. Enjoy.

Don't know how I got six of the same picture on there. If there's a mod who knows how to remove five of the, that would be great. I tried, but was unsuccessful.

Seeeeya' Chef Longwind of the North
20211020_180814.jpg
20211020_180100.jpg
20211020_180216.jpg
20211020_172651.jpg
20211020_172822.jpg

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.