macerating suet

Joined Dec 1, 2015
I was going through some recipes for traditional Christmas puddings with suet and there was one that said macerate the suet with the dried fruits and brandy. I had never seen this and wondered if there was an advantage to it.

Any one with experience/thoughts with this?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Christmas pudding of all types are my favorites. There is great value in macerating the fruit but not sure that there is any value in macerating the suet. Surely it will pick up some brandy flavor but why bother?

Joined Dec 1, 2015
The only thought I had is that the alcohol might have a dehydrating effect the fat and change how it melted in the pudding.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Macerating the suet is only done in a small number of recipes. I don’t think one can consider it common practice. I can’t imagine it being a benefit... no matter what the rationale may be.

Joined Dec 1, 2015
That was the other thought I had, if it really made that much a difference, the practice would be more widespread...unless the recipe was ahead of the curve. :rolleyes:

Joined May 5, 2010
Used to do this myself...I was told that it softens the suet. I ran my suet through the small blades of the grinder, before adding it to candied fruit and Armanac. The recipe was from a very old book from Nova Scotia.

Top Bottom