Macarons, how much would you pay for them?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chrisbelgium, Sep 21, 2011.

1. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yesterday, tuesday in Lille, France. This little town is only 30 minutes away from where I live in Belgium. Without the speed limits it would only be 15 minutes. Something like a ride from JFK to Manhattan. Mind you, Paris is at merely 300 km away too, but I prefer this little town, it could even be named Little Paris if you like.

It struck me how many macarons were in the windows of the pâtisseries and the prices they ask for this. Yep, they're still trendy. Prices from 0,75€ up to 2,5€ per piece. This is far too much IMO! How much would you want to pay for something like that?

A few pictures;

- Lille center place. On any saturday, this whole town would be packed with people. I prefer a slow tuesday...

[​IMG]

- Pâtisserie Meert. Very wellknown, recently also in Paris. Macarons at 1,2€ a piece...

[​IMG][​IMG]

- Other pâtissier. Macarons chocolat/foie gras or foie gras/fleur de sel or pomme/foie gras; all at 2,5€ per piece, and they are very, very small!!

[​IMG]

- A creative pâtissier; mini macarons on top of one-persons pastries; 4,10€ per person

[​IMG]

While we're there;

- Rue de la Monnaie in le vieux Lille, plenty of tiny bistros, including my favorite one "Le Porthos" which is not on this picture.

[​IMG][​IMG]

- The french alternative for speed or other amfetamines. Dark roasted. This is what you get when you ask for "un café" aka a coffee. A few sips of fast working body fuel. Delicious.

[​IMG]

So, back on topic,I repeat my question; how much would you want to pay for a simple macaron?  

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    ChrisB

I love Lille!  Try to get down on Eurostar a couple of times a year.

Those macarons seem a wee bittie expensive (I'm Scots, after all!)

I had afternoon tea at a girlfriend's house the other day, she had a pack of Raymond Blanc's macarons from our upmarket supermarket chain, Waitrose.  As mass-produced macarons, they weren't too bad at all!  http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Maison-Blanc-Macarons/54133011

3. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Chris,

There is a store called " La maison de Macaron " and they have just about some of the best macarons out there. For unit price they are going for just under $ 1.40 If you want a box of 24 its around 32 dollars. They have some very fancy ones that go for a bit more.

Some of the flavors are just so tasty. Some of my favorites are maple & peach , mango & amarula, and my all time favorite is raspberry & thyme. You get such a nice feeling inside when you walk into this store.

http://lamaisondumacaron.com/pages/produits.html  

Petals

BTW, thank you for showing those terrific pictures

4. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  5. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    French, I saw Pierre Hermè on the french TF1 channel where it's the french edition of Masterchef. The contestants had to do a remake of a Hermè's speciality... they all did reasonably well, according to the master himself. 

When I look at Pierre Hermè's contours, it seems the man loves his own creations too!! And, he's quite a likeable person.

Thanks all for the links! And Ishbel, I'm a big fan of Raymond Blanc, what a fantastic chef.

6. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    He's one of my favourite 'British' (joke!) chefs - I've eat- I've got all his books.  Ive also eaten at Le Manoir more than a few times over the years,  I've never had a bad dish, and the grounds are pretty nice, too!

PS - I suppose that technically, having lived longer here than there, he might be considered English!!

7. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Don't trust the skinny chef! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif