Macaroni & Cheese - type of pasta.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
If you don’t use roux, what do you do without adding velveeta?

To make the most American tasting Mac n cheese I find that using a combination of cheddar and Colby jack works best. Cheddar alone doesn’t work.

Joined May 24, 2011
Well, I certainly learned of the usefulness of Velveeta today! Thanks, kids.

I guess it's true - if you use only a bit, you can't taste it but it achieves the right texture. Anyway, I bought some fontina to go along with the mild cheddar, since the Gruyere was just too pricey for me. I didn't know about the purpose of Velveeta til just now.

How I rue the day I didn't study to become a food scientist. I would be a wealthy woman, would I not. How to make processed food wonderful in one way or another is a growing industry. Any food scientists here on cheftalk???

Joined May 24, 2011
Ahhh....Velveeta. That brings back memories of college, prohibited hot plates and $4 cases of beer ( I went to college quite a while ago :) )

Let's play that "we were so poor game"! Here is the truth: I had to live in an attic with nothing but a hotplate to cook my food on not only while going to school, but afterwards, too.

C'mon. I want to hear your stories of penury, too. The funnier, the better.

Last edited:
Joined Mar 1, 2017
Let's play that "we were so poor game"! Here is the truth: I had to live in an attic with nothing but a hotplate to cook my food on not only while going to school, but afterwards, too.

C'mon. I want to hear your stories of penury, too. The funner, the better.
I was so poor in college, I couldn't afford to pay attention.

But, seriously folks. After I graduated, if it weren't for the fact I worked in my uncle's restaurant while I looked for a job, I have no idea how I would've fed myself. I spent more than a few nights sleeping in my car in the back parking lot. All I can say is thank god for strippers who would barter their couches (and other things *giggle*) for someone to cook for them.

We didn't have Taco Bell packets and 14 cent Raman Noodles back then.

Joined May 30, 2015
If you don’t use roux, what do you do without adding velveeta?

I would try to find an organic/natural version. I'm sure Whole Foods has something similar. The process of making process cheese is very old and not inherently bad/dangerous (it's just cheese, milk, a few dairy leftovers like whey and a thickener). I suspect most people's aversion is more to certain brand names that have a lot of "stuff" added rather than the category of cheese itself.

Laughing Cow is essentially the same thing as Velveeta, but it's a tastier product. Or, just find a very low-oil, easy-melting cheese (Monterrey Jack, Oaxaca, etc).

Joined Apr 11, 2018
Who's being served this mac and cheese, kids or adults? Very different palates. Adults are more likely to appreciate the nuances and complexities of a higher quality recipe but for kids it's the opposite - they expect Kraft-style box mac and cheese and the further you get from that flavor profile, the less they like it.

It's one of the most common kids-meal mistakes I see restaurants make, getting too fancy on their mac & cheese or other staple kids meals when they should be keeping it simple.

Joined May 24, 2011
Alrighty then. Yesterday I made the Fannie Farmer macaroni (actually penne rigate) and cheese with 3/8ths Fontina and 5/8ths mild cheddar.

People, I can't believe how nicely this turned out. It is perfect. Doesn't harden overnight, stays soft. The penne makes it more substantial than macaroni. I think that it tastes better than I remember because of the addition of the Fontina cheese. Thank you v. much, brianshaw for mentioning that.

But now I remember why I don't make this very often: spending 17 minutes in front of a hot stove stirring the mixture. And it was already 85 degrees in the house.

Thanks so much, folks, for all your input. :p

Top Bottom