Chef Forum banner

MAC Chef knife as rust?????

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  rick alan 
#1 ·
I got home yesterday to find the kitchen a mess and found the good MAC Chef knife in the drying rack and found a spot of rust on the blade edge. The blade is SS and I have owned it for about 3 years now. I am just surprised there is rust and just trying to decide best way to go about correcting?

#4 ·
Try baking "soda" and lemon juice first. make a thin paste and puddle it on. Let it sit till fairly dry, hydrate it a litlle and do some rubbing.

The rust is from what is called "vagrant Iron" iron near the surface that is not entirely in solution with the alloys.

#6 ·
We actually don't know that.

Similarly Transglutaminase, I told my SO she had to use a cutting board with my good knives. I next saw her dulling my best knife (not a great one at that time but sharp) on a glass tray. I got her and the daughter serrated steak knives, and that ended the problem, well, I did have to tell the daughter to use her steak knife on the glass tray instead of my wood cutting board.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.