MAC Chef knife as rust?????

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by scribble, Aug 22, 2019.

1. scribble

scribble

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I got home yesterday to find the kitchen a mess and found the good MAC Chef knife in the drying rack and found a spot of rust on the blade edge. The blade is SS and I have owned it for about 3 years now. I am just surprised there is rust and just trying to decide best way to go about correcting?

2. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    This advice is for removing the spots if you don't care what the finish looks like- sandpaper 1000+ grit. I have 3000 grit wet/dry paper that doesn't leave deep scratches but it's really not necessary. You can find 1500 at the hardware store easy and cheap

3. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    They make a rust eraser too. It's literally an eraser that removes rust from knives. Stainless does not always mean stain free.

4. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Try baking "soda" and lemon juice first. make a thin paste and puddle it on. Let it sit till fairly dry, hydrate it a litlle and do some rubbing.

The rust is from what is called "vagrant Iron" iron near the surface that is not entirely in solution with the alloys.

5. Transglutaminase

Transglutaminase

Exp:
    Professional Bum
    At least you don't have the wife tossing them in the dishwasher..and 10 minutes ago, using my best paring knife,.. hacking out a hunk of pie from a glass pie dish.
    /end bitch

6. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    We actually don't know that.

Similarly Transglutaminase, I told my SO she had to use a cutting board with my good knives. I next saw her dulling my best knife (not a great one at that time but sharp) on a glass tray. I got her and the daughter serrated steak knives, and that ended the problem, well, I did have to tell the daughter to use her steak knife on the glass tray instead of my wood cutting board.