Mac and Cheese

Joined Apr 18, 2017
So I'm a self taught Bbq and Cajun guy that does maybe 6-12 gigs a year and has done so for around 10 years. Everything I know I learned pretty much from trial and error, reading, watching videos and asking questions. Here is a problem I've had that I can't figure out. Whenever I make mac and cheese...by the time I get to the gig, it has kinda seized up almost like a casserole. Ive made it from scratch with a béchamel, Ive used a canned, processed cheese sauce and it always starts off creamy and delicious, but by the time I hold it in a Cambro for service, it tightens up and looks very unappealing. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep it loose and creamy while waiting for service? Thanks.

Joined May 5, 2010
Hey Scott. Welcome to Cheftalk. Holding mac and cheese for any length of time is problem because the pasta is still absorbing any liquid...including any sauce you might put with it. My solution was to bring along a thermos of thinned out extra cheese sauce. That way I can stir it into the pan of mac and cheese to help keep it creamy the way you'd like it to be.

Joined Apr 18, 2017
Hey Scott. Welcome to Cheftalk. Holding mac and cheese for any length of time is problem because the pasta is still absorbing any liquid...including any sauce you might put with it. My solution was to bring along a thermos of thinned out extra cheese sauce. That way I can stir it into the pan of mac and cheese to help keep it creamy the way you'd like it to be.
Sound advice. Thanks a bunch!!!

Joined Sep 17, 2018
I agree with bringing extra sauce. I also will make mine "soupier" if I have to transport it and hold because of the outcomes you have already gone into. If you had the means you could also bring the hot ingredients separately and toss them together in a bowl and put into dishes at the event.

Top Bottom