Lowering the fat in cheesecake?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by beachbaby, Jul 27, 2004.

1. beachbaby

beachbaby

Low-fat dairy products tend to cook abysmally, but I couldn't help looking at the Neufschatel at the market today and wonder how it would sub for full-fat cream cheese in a savory cheesecake. It would be terrific to lower the fat in this dish if I can do so without a significant decrease in everything that's wonderful about cheesecake. Can anyone here help?

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    It's a direct substitute.

3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've had problems with curdling in lowfat dairy with the higher protien ratios. Should you cook it differently, a lower temperature perhaps?

Phil

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    If you want to hold on to everything that's wonderful in cheesecake, make real cheesecake with real ingredients.

If you want less fat, eat smaller portions of it.

There you are.

5. nuckey

nuckey

That's awesome, and quite correct to boot.

6. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Not in the case of cheesecake I don't think. Eggs are wonderful things. The cheesecake will still taste pretty rich with all those yolks in there. You're really making a custard with cream cheese when making cheesecake. As with all custards, don't let it boil.

Kuan

7. beachbaby

beachbaby

Suzanne, as a rule of thumb, I agree with you. I can't think of a single other low-fat substitute that I accept--I was just hoping that neufschatel might actually be one I could.

8. beachbaby

beachbaby

Kuan, curdling was precisely what I was worried about. I'll keep it at 250 F, thanks!